Visas and border crossings forum

Laos to Cambodia

• daviddwilly

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2010

I was just wondering if it is possible to cross the border between Laos and Cambodia over land? and if it is possible to get a visa for Cambodia at this crossing. Also what is the best crossing to take?
    many thanks.

#1 Posted: 20/12/2010 - 08:29

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Check out this page: http://www.travelfish.org/border_crossings/laos Scroll halfway down the page.

It looks like you've got one option...

#2 Posted: 20/12/2010 - 08:43

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yeah there's only one crossing and visa on arrival is available there.

#3 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 17:42

• shotgun

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2010

Dont do it to yourself, the bus ride is torture. If you decide to ignore my advice, pick up some Valium in Pakse beforehand.

#4 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 20:34

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

I did it by myself, got back from Don Det island, took a local bus to the border, got my visa there, and started walking towards Stung Treng (as it was in the afternoon and taxi's try to rip you off). after 5km walking a local guy turned up and took us to Stung Treng for less then nothing. Though you do don't want to do it this way as you might end up without a ride.

book a bus in Pakse or 4000 islands to Stung Treng, trip is really short, from Pakse to Stung Treng took me about 4 hours, Don Det to Stung treng, about 1,5 hour, not that far or I might have been lucky to be on local busses that drive to kill!

ah well, visa at the border: no problem at all!

#5 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 22:02

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Cross the border, then come visit me in Banlung!

'sheeed

#6 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 11:11

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Maybe wasted advice (if you've already done it since posting on 20/12/2010) but you're probably crossing from Pakse or the 4000 Islands into Cambodia. Pretty much every agent or guesthouse/hotel there can book your ride, but don't book a ride only to the border (where you are at the mercy of many opportunistic vultures). Book transport (van, pickup, whatever) at least as far as Stung Treng or Kratie (but not to Phnom Penh which is too far same day). Transport prices should be around $15-20 (USD) to those recommended destinations. Then pause for a night and decide where is next since you'll then be on the proper road network with a choice of buses. Going further check out transport options on the link below, and better to buy bus tickets at bus stations not agents if you want to save a few bucks.

Bus info here:
    http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/buses.htm
    Big map here:
    http://www.canbypublications.com/maps/cambodia-map-large.htm

#7 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 02:41

• daviddwilly

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2010

Hi guys,

thanks again for all of the above advice especially @Captain_Bob for the map and bus info, we still haven't done this part of our journey yet so all information is always welcome.

How much would I be looking at for the visa? and transport to Stung Treng all in do you think? this would be for 2 people

#8 Posted: 14/3/2011 - 04:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.