Visas and border crossings forum

From China to Laos

• Ignas

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2010

Hello

I am living in Yunnan, Yuxi city, and ready to go to Laos soon, need advice which way is best to cross border to Laos that could be possible to get visa on arrival. Is it going through Mengla?

At the same time another question. Can I get tourist visa to Vietnam while being in Laos, how many days it takes?

#1 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 19:47

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

visa on arrival is possible if you are coming by bus or you could arrange it in Kunming, it's all the same.
    Yes, the bus is going trough Mengla. If you plan on stopping in Mengla for a night (and you're not Chinese) make sure to have some cash with you as most atm's tend to fail sometimes (couldn't take money out with master card or visa-card, ...).

The bus will probably stop in Mengla and you have to switch to another bus that's going to the border and then to Luang Namtha and normally further to Oudomxay as well.

Visa for Vietnam can be made in Vientianne, don't know if they do it elsewhere. Takes you a day or so, all depends how you arrange it or if you go to the embassy yourself. you can extend your Vietnam visa for 6 months once you're in Vietnam.

grtz

#2 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 22:11

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Good point on the ATM's - my friends got to Mengla after 8 hours, realised they didn't have enough cash, had to take a bus 1-2 hours back in the opposite direction, get cash, spend the night in that place, bus back to Mengla...on to Laos. Not the way to do it!

see my recent post here on China>Laos http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/12928_china--kunming--to-laos-to-thailand

When i was there, and friends since, the bus is from X place in China to Mengla. Get off, find a bus into Laos. Someone did say there was a direct bus from Kunming though. Maybe even in the link i just posted... so check it out

#3 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 04:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.