Visas and border crossings forum

Train from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet

• sputnikrent

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2006

I'm planning on spending 18 days between Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam during the late Decemeber- mid January time period. I was looking at options for getting from Bangkok to Siem Reap and I noticed in an article that the train ride is highly recommended.

Is it easy to get tickets for the train, and will there be seats on the train itself? Also the article talks about the scenic ride, can anyone who has been on the train comment? I'm just wondering if the extra time and possible hassle it takes is worth the scenic ride...

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 10/12/2006 - 04:23

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Sputnik,

The problem with taking the train to Aranyaprathet is the timing. It runs twice a day, departing early in the morning and arriving just before noon, or departing in the early afternoon and arriving at about 5:30 pm/1730.

The bummer about the morning train is having to get your cookies to the train station before 6 am. Ouch! The bummer about the afternoon train is that it arrives too late to make it all the way to Siem Reap and Angkor the same day, making it necessary to overnight in Aranyaprathet.

The train itself is a 3rd class only option, with wooden or lightly padded seats designed to reduce your seat to tears. Still, if you only get this one chance to travel the rails in Thailand, it might be worth it just for the experience. It is certainly one of the most affordable ways to get to Aranyaprathet from Bangers, since the fare is still only about 48 baht. This line departs from the main Hualamphong train station.

You can check the timetable for those trains at this link:
    http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

Hopefully others can chip in with additional comments. I know that I always like to take the 3rd class train from Thon Buri out to Kanchanaburi for the fun of the experience and the scenery. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 10/12/2006 - 08:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Booking the train from Aranyaprathet to Bangkok ... By magicpixiejo on 9 Jan 2010 2 3658 9 Jan 2010