Visas and border crossings forum

Visa to China

  • lunarca

    Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011
    Posts: 1


    This is my first post to this forum, so let me start by saying hi to everyone. We are a couple cycling around south east asia and up to China and Tibet. We are going to apply for the Chinese visa this week in Bangkok and I was wondering if anybody had any advice for us as to what to put on the application, documents to attach and so on it would be greatly appreciated.

    I'll post information later on how the procedure went.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions

    #1 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 22:09

  • Advertisement

  • christay2009

    Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 414
    Total reviews: 4

    I cannot answer your question, however, i can say that a friend got his China visa in Bangkok a few months ago and he said there were no issues. He asked for the 1 day service on the Visa, paid the money, turned up 24 hours later and all was sorted. Hopefully your experience will be as painless! good luck

    #2 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 01:55

  • Captain_Bob

    Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 1787

    If cycling north from Bangkok you can also get a Chinese visa at the consulate in Chiang Mai. Visa hours are 9-1130am M-F and the fee schedule is shown on my photo here:

    #3 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 14:26

  • caseyprich

    Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Posts: 1281
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

    You don't have to mention that you'll be cycling into Tibet on your Visa Application. Technically you are not allowed to enter Tibet or go around in it at this time without an official guide and an entry permit. You can not get that permit unless booked with a guide. It may complicate your visa arrangement if you mention it. You could simply indicate that you will be cycling around western China.

    If you are applying for the 3 month tourist visa it is a good idea to have the addresses of some hotels you will stay it in one or two major cities (even if you decided not to stay there). You could mention a hostel in Jinhong, Kunming, Lijiang, and Chengdu to be believable.

    #4 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 14:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee