Visas and border crossings forum

Bo Y border opened for international border crossings?

• millionilla

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2006

Hello there,

just read from Rough Guide Vietnam that Bo Y border (Cambodia-Laos-Vietnam border, near Vietnamese Kon Tum) should be now opened for international border crossings. But when checking Vietnam's Tourism website, I found no information about this border...

Does anybody happen to know how things are at Bo Y?

thanks,
    Milla

#1 Posted: 11/12/2006 - 15:31

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Milla,

Welcome to Travelfish!

One of our researchers is writing up his Attapeu notes at the moment so should be online inside the week.

The border is open to foreigners, but transport details are a little sketchy -- I'll post more info when I get his notes in.

#2 Posted: 12/12/2006 - 13:38

• millionilla

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2006

OK, good to hear! I'm leaving the day after tomorrow, but won't be trying to cross the Bo Y border until I've seen all the best of Southern Laos. Which could be a while ;-)

So I'll just wait until I hear from you again. Thanks a lot!

Milla

#3 Posted: 14/12/2006 - 04:06

• Munkychump

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2006

Hi Everyone,

I was also wondering about the border crossing at Bo Y and after searching the site I haven't seen any updates about it.

My girlfriend and I are leaving for Vietnam in 6 days and the border crossing at Bo Y is kinda crucial for our itinerary. I really love some information on this crossing, especially when it comes to transport and the how difficult it may be to deal with immigration there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Gav

#4 Posted: 3/1/2007 - 17:18

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Gav,

Welcome to Travelfish!

You mustn't have been looking in the right place ;-)

"Buses to Vietnam
    Buses to Vietnam now leave daily at 09:00 and 10:00 -- there's no fixed bus station for them yet, but they pick up from in front of the Thanh Nha Guesthouse, or thereabouts, so you'll want to stop in there to purchase a ticket and arrange to get on the bus -- the fare is 80,000 kip. They travel via road 18 B and terminates in Kontum, Vietnam. This is a relatively new service and buses may eventually depart from the main bus station, once the wheels of Laos-Vietnam cooperation are properly greased."

Above is from the Attapeu travel section.

I'll update the Visa and border crossing thrad with this info shortly, but if you're planning on crossing that border soon, a border report would be much appreciated!

Hope that helps

#5 Posted: 4/1/2007 - 08:37

• Munkychump

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2006

Hi Somtam,

I think I may have read that but I was actually looking for information on getting across the border going from Vietnam into Laos, I don't think I made that very clear in my message. Do you know if the bus goes in the other direction, from Kontum to Laos? I would assume that if the bus terminates in Kontum it must go back into Laos at some point, but I'd like some confirmation of this if I can get it!

Thanks for your help, I will be trying that border crossing and I'll give you a report as soon as I can!

#6 Posted: 8/1/2007 - 19:40

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi again,

Did a bit more searching and found the following (this time on the Travelfish blog) -- the bus starts in Qui Nhon then passes through Pleiku and Kon Tum:

"Vietnam and Laos have opened a bus link between Qui Nhon in Binh Dinh province and Pakse in Champasak, Laos . The route is intended to draw overland tourist across border between Thailand and Vietnam . The new service launched on July 4th takes about 12 hours and costs US$16. The buses currently run four weekly trips on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.

The trip runs through Pleiku and Kontum provinces in Vietnam and Attapeu, Sekong and Champasak in Laos. "

From the above it is my understanding the bus leaves Qui Nhon on Mon, Tue, Thu and Sun.

Hope that helps -- and look forward to hearing how you go!

#7 Posted: 8/1/2007 - 21:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ok, our man on the ground crossed using this crossing yesterday -- here's the skinny:

Despite what you might hear elsewhere (especially from Vietnamese embassy officials) the border at Bo Y is wide open to foreigners, and now provides an interesting, if somewhat challenging, way to enter Vietnam. Of course, as ever, you'll need to have obtained a valid Vietnamese visa before hitting the border.

This entry point makes the most sense if you are winding up your Laos visit in the southeastern provinces of Salavan, Sekong and Attapeu, and you don't fancy making the ridiculously circuitous trip to the Lao Bao border via Savannakhet. You can also get to Attapeu from Pakse -- show up at the Southern Bus Terminal at the 8-kilometre market any time before 09:00 and something will be leaving eventually, usually before 10:30 -- price 30,000 kip. In that case, you probably won't be able to make it to Attapeu and cross the border in the same day, and you'll have to overnight in Attapeu. Better yet, plan several days -- Attapeu is a good little town and there are a number of interesting things to do.

In Attapeu, mini-buses for Bo Y leave in the morning from in front Thi Thi Restaurant -- the Vietnamese place near Thanh Nga Guesthouse, which the locals call "Ban Pak Khun Viet". Makes sense to spend the night there because mini-vans leave in the morning -- the first departure is at 07:00. There should be departures until 10:00, but don't count on it and arrive early. It's all very loosey goosey right now since the service is primarily used by Vietnamese migrant workers and everybody knows the drill. They also leave packed to the gills: there were 15 people in the ten-passenger van when we made the trip.

The price to Bo Y is 80,000 kip. It's 119km from Attapeu to Bo Y -- a nail-biting ride on incredibly twisty mountain roads which the drivers like to take as fast as they can. The scenery is beautiful, but if you're prone to motion sickness, take something for it. Two of the Vietnamese passangers lost their lunch on our trip (out the windows, thankfully!)

The border process is fairly straightforward, and there are no regular fees levied on either side. Once everyone is processed (which can take forever) the vans continue on to the town of Ngoc Hoi, 18km on the other side of the border. The entire process from Attapeu takes about three hours. Transport options are available from in Ngoc Hoi to just about anywhere you want to go, but many morning departures will require another overnight stay. There are plenty of places to stay right near the bus station, with very acceptable double rooms for US$10. Internet is located 300m west of the bus station on the right.

The nearest spot on the tourist trail is Kon Tum, 68km east of Ngoc Hoi -- there's only one bus in the afternoon, and it leaves at 17:00, 30,000 dong, takes 2 hours. It drops off in Kon Tum at the bus terminal 2km from the centre of town. This same bus continues to Saigon (150,000 dong).

#8 Posted: 8/2/2007 - 18:19

• Munkychump

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2006

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Somtam,

Unfortunately we had been told by everyone we met including 'Easy Riders' from Dalat that go up to Kon Tum regularly that the border crossing was only for locals and military and that if we went there we would risk having our photos deleted from our cameras. So we made the choice to skip going into Laos this journey and used the spare days to see Vietnam at a more leisurely pace.

Thanks for letting me know what was going on with the crossing, it seems that maybe the not-so Easy Riders may have steered us wrong to get another couple of days out of us riding to Hoi An.

Thanks again!

Gav

#9 Posted: 8/2/2007 - 20:22

• dayak

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2007

I've been following this thread with interest. I intend to drive from Laos to Vietnam via the Lao Bao crossing and return through Bo Y.

However, I've noticed that your thread mentions buses, but not cars. Do you know if private cars are allowed to cross (specifically from Vietnam-Kontum to Laos-Attapeu.

#10 Posted: 16/10/2007 - 08:07

• Advertisement

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

Hi Somtam

Good info on the Attapau – Bo Y border crossing. It'll come in handy for sure.

After spending some time in Champasak and Cambodia in June this year, I regret not seeing the Attapau district, and onwards to Vietnam.

Its definitely on the agenda for August 2009. Its wet season I know, but I managed to get free AirAsia SYD-KLL-HKT flights, which made it irresistable. Its pretty dry where I live, so warmth and rain are sooooooooo good.

Cheers
    Rayc

#11 Posted: 29/11/2008 - 11:40

• dayak

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2007

Since my post of last year, I have taken my car out of Laos and into Bietnam via the Lao Bao crossing, returning via Bo Y.

No problems at all! Assumes valid Viet/Lao visas.

Cheers

#12 Posted: 1/12/2008 - 10:53

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report back dayak -- appreciated.

#13 Posted: 1/12/2008 - 13:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
New Opened Border Crossing ... By SiamGarden on 23 May 2012 3 1637 25 Oct 2012
Border Crossings ... By allanlewis on 1 Apr 2010 0 1787 1 Apr 2010
Border crossings ... By ofer on 1 Jan 2014 3 571 6 Jan 2014
Border crossings over Christmas ... By onefatmonkey on 1 Oct 2011 2 1419 1 Oct 2011
Various Border Crossings & 60 Day Thai Visa ... By StephJayne165 on 7 Feb 2012 1 1571 7 Feb 2012
Border Crossings on Motorbikes....advice needed ... By moomin1802 on 28 May 2011 8 2862 30 Nov 2011
border crossings n. vietnam - laos (tay trang or Nam Xoi) ... By fishtails04 on 28 Jan 2008 2 4784 29 Jan 2008
Northern Laos into Thailand Border Crossings? ... By guernseydan on 26 Dec 2010 2 2947 28 Dec 2010
Border Crossings on Motorbikes....advice needed ... By moomin1802 on 28 May 2011 0 2278 28 May 2011
overland border crossings - laos to cambodia - please help! ... By lizzyp83 on 20 Mar 2006 2 2397 21 Mar 2006