Visas and border crossings forum

Yunnan (China) - Thailand.

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Hi there,

Sorry if something similar has been asked, had a rummage.

I'm going to be in Yunnan at the end of summer or beginning of autumn and will need to get to Bangkok from there to meet arriving friends. I can fly there no problems but a couple of people have told me about various shipping companies that ply the Mekhong from Yunnan to Thailand.

I'm told this doesn't require Lao or Burma visas as the boats don't stop until getting to Thailand.

If anyone can shed any light I'd be grateful.
    Cheers.

#1 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 03:41

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

http://treehouse.ofb.net/go/en/node/1592

Make sure to read all the way to the last post.

#2 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 08:21

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I did a 2-day cargo boat ride from Jinghong to Chiang Saen a few years ago for 2000 Thai baht ($50 at the time) but the government has "prohibited" foreigners travelling this way in recent years. There are tourist boat services now though for about twice the money. See http://www.maekhongtravel.com or talk with the folks at Mei Mei Cafe in Jinghong who can hook you up with a boat. It may still be possible to stow away on a cargo boat but you may then have to cross the China border on foot and re-join the boat out of sight (dodgy). Other option is by regular bus from Jinghong to Mengla and the Boten border from which there is bus service 55km to Luang Namtha and continuing 198km to the Thai border at Huay Xai / Chiang Khong.

#3 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 14:21

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Thanks a lot guys, that's really helpful. Should offer an interesting alternative to flying.

#4 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 21:38

• davixdy

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2008

There is a daily bus from Jinghong to Huay Xai at 6:45 in the morning, it goes straight, no need to change bus at the border. Arrives around 16:30 to Huay Xai, just in time to cross the border to Chiang Khong . The price is around 120-130 yuan i think, the road is not bad at all, worse in the lao side. Jinghong and its surroundings is worth a few days btw (Menghai, ...). From Chiang Khong there are sleeper buses to Bangkok so you can finish the journey from Jinghong to Bangkok in 24 hours.

#5 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 23:31

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

So the road from Jinghong to Mengla has been finished? When I went through in '07 it was a winding hill stretch in a minivan over roads that a regular size bus couldn't have made it through - as they were constructing what looked like a very nice highway. It took us something like 7 hours to get to the border.

#6 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 08:53

• davixdy

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2008

Yes, the road is in very good condition in the chinese side, also from border to Vieng Phouka is pretty good but from there to Huay Xai is bad.

#7 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 16:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand to Yunnan (China) border crossing - anyone with experience? ... By brucemoon on 31 May 2009 2 3409 21 Jul 2009
Thailand to Yunnan (China) border crossing - anyone with experience? ... By BruceMoon on 9 Jun 2009 5 4818 9 Jun 2009
Yunnan China _advice and Itinerary ... By kandpfishos on 10 Jun 2011 3 2564 12 Jun 2011