Visas and border crossings forum

O Smach border crossing.

• Pjotra

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 9

Hi there!

Does anyone have recent info on transport from Siem Reap, via Samrong to the O Smach/ Chong Jom border xx and on to either Surin or Sisaket? The youngest info I find
    On the web dates from 2007!

#1 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 15:59

• Advertisement

• frederikdb

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

I'm also interested in crossing the border at O Smach. Any experiences?

#2 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 09:39

• Pjotra

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 9

Indeed we got over the border, end of january 2011. We were told to have booked a pickup in a small restaurant, around the corner from Golden Temple Villa in Siem Reap, for a 2 hour drive by pickup truck to Samroang, for 15 USD for two. It appeared to be a taxi with 7 people together in it. The road is for about half a dustroad. From Samroang we caught a taxi ( only way to do it) for 25 USD, not negotianable, to the O Smach crossing, where the are minibusses on the other side leaving every half hour for Surin at 60 B p.p. Altogether not a bad connection, however a bit expensive.

#3 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 17:00

• CB1100r

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2012

Hi I thought that this thread could stand an update as I did this route both ways this week from Prasat in less than 4 hours door to door. The road is about 98% with just the odd ''surprise'' stretch where the road surface has been stripped ready to resurface. on the return leg there were about 2 or 3 short sections without tarmac. By short I mean about 25 metres.
    Couple of pointers though... like a mug, my wife and I followed a really helpful Thai guy in an official looking government logo'd jacket. It was only after I'd paid 1000 bhts for the visa and another 100 bhts to get it stamped that I realised I'd been scammed for about $12 more than the obligatory $20.
    All the money went over the counter so both the Cambodian officials and the visa pimps are obviously in on it and spitting the proceeds.

Lesson learned... I also saw two guys told by the visa pimps that their Poipet visa couldn't be used at Chop Jong and they were both relieved of another 1000 bhts ($30) for a new O'smach Cambodian visa.... nice easy money and a prime example of enterprising Thai/Cambodian corruption.
    We got the sole use of a pretty beat up Taxi for $45 who managed to get usinto Siem Reap quickly avoiding all the obstacles enroute. I have to say that anyone who has driven in Bangkok would not have any problem driving this route - cows, seemingly blind motorcyclists and kids excepted..!!
    We could have shared the cost with another guy but I'm a bit wary about sharing a car with a total stranger who might well be carrying anything so decided that for $20 it wasn't worth a risk.
    We use the same taxi on the return leg too..
    The other really blatent piece of Cambodian Police corruption was the 50 bhts the driver was charged by the seven Cambodian police who manned the road block about 5km's from the O'smach border. Driver said that this was normal... The cheeky B4$t4rd$ were also heard to tell our driver 'don't let the Farangs see the money'... made me mad to see such misuse of official power & corruption but the driver was just reconciled to it.
    I know the amounts are petty but only by fighting this type of corruption will a lot of the poorer folk start to get an even break...
    Just my two cents worth.... :-)

#4 Posted: 29/12/2012 - 06:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report -- sounds like the graft is going strong -- be interesting to see what happens with the new Thai/Cambo visa - a whole new revenue stream for this lot!

#5 Posted: 29/12/2012 - 07:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chong Jom / O Smach border crossing ... By kimmistaus on 23 Dec 2006 0 2274 23 Dec 2006