Visas and border crossings forum

Visa on Laos border

• Ignas

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2010

I am going from Kunming to Luang Nam tha and plan is to get visa on the border. How does that work? Is it bus going to wait for me on the border while I will be making visa, or how is it? A little worried, hope someone knows how is it.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 16:26

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

If you are taking a direct chartered bus that goes all the way from Kunming into Laos I'm not sure (usually those head to Luang Prabang not Luang Nam Tha ). I imagine as they are a full service connection they will meet you once you go through the border.

However, as you are going to Luang Nam Tha perhaps you are taking a bus to Jinhong then transferring until you get to the border. In that case the bus will simply drop you off and you'll cross through the border on your own. Once through the Chinese border you'll be in the gray area and some drivers will usually offer a reasonable rate (I think it was 10 RMB in 2007) to get to the Laos visa 'office'.

Once you're done with that its up to you to arrange transportation to get to Luang Nam Tha - often you'll run into other travelers this time of year who will help share the expense. In 2007 there were four solo travelers who ended up meeting and sharing a ride to Luang Nam Tha while I met two guys who shared a mini-van with me to Udomxai.

#2 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 20:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Kaam Samnor Border Crossing, Cambodia Visa, Laos Visa ... By kpop on 10 Jun 2009 4 7093 10 Jun 2009
Bo Y border crossing and Laos Visa ... By kiwigirl on 15 Apr 2007 4 4208 19 Apr 2007
Laos-Vietnam visa on the border? ... By Angieangie on 7 Feb 2013 3 1974 13 Feb 2013
can i get cambodian visa on border with laos? ... By travelchick on 28 Mar 2006 11 7257 20 Jul 2006
Border Crossing: Laos - Cambodia / VISA ... By MILKDOG on 24 Jun 2006 2 3796 25 Jun 2006
Visa for border crossing thailand to Laos (nongkhai) ... By dbp92503 on 27 Sep 2006 9 5536 30 Sep 2006