Visas and border crossings forum

Crossing Le thanh border by motorbike

• onzereis

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2010

Since thereis not much information about crossing de Le Thanh border in Vietnam intoCambodia by motorbike. I’ll write down our experience with this bordercrossing.
    First of aldon’t take any shortcuts in Vietnam, stick to the main road (ql14). We tried ashortcut and ended up in a police station in the middle of nowhere. We couldn’tgo futher and had to ride all the way back and take the 14 to Pleiku. The road we thought was quicker was 14C.
    At Pleikutake the road to ‘La dom’ were the Le Thanh border is. The office is near tocompletion and the road towards the border is perfect. We parked the bike infront of the office and walked inside. We were pretty nervous ‘cause our visawas 1 day expired (because we had to ride back). There was no problem at all.After some checks they gave us the stamp and with a little warning for the nexttime (about the expiration) we could go. They didn’t checked the bike or theluggage. With the bike we ride about 50m and than our passport got checkedagain, but is was fine.
    At theCambodian border it took a little bit longer. But no hassle at all. Again theydidn’t checked the bike or luggage. We bought the Cambodian visa there for thenormal fee (20$). And we could go through.
    We spend nomore than one hour at the borders and not more money than the fee for the visa.Then the road to Banlung was perfect as well, better than most Vietnameseroads. It took us about one hour to get in Banlung.
    So, for allwho want to go via this border crossing. It’s really good to do and withouthassle.
    Note thatthe road from Banlung to Stung Treng is bad. It took us long time and make sureyou have a scarf for your mouth for all the dust.
    I hope Igave some good value information for those who wanted it.
    Rik

#1 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 21:36

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Thanks Rik. That was helpful. My biggest question would have been about getting the bike across, but it seems like no problem.

Cheers
    'sheeed

#2 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 11:04

• onzereis

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2010

Not at all! Just smile your way through and nothing will happen.
    (but, if you got a bad officer, that's always the guess...)

Enjoy

#3 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 21:40

• yokelboy

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Cheers Rik, I've been trawling through this website and GT-Rider after being told that I couldn't take my Vietnamese registered bike to Cambodia...Made me feel a lot better now I've seen something positive!
    Ta,

Tom

#4 Posted: 16/3/2011 - 11:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Crossing the border at Le Thanh / O Yadao with motorbike? ... By pnpayn on 2 Jul 2010 1 2410 2 Jan 2011
Lao to Vietnam border crossing on motorbike ... By Bennyshorter on 28 Jun 2013 0 1291 28 Jun 2013
Le Thanh - O Yadao crossing (Pleiku - Ban Lung) ... By Lother on 24 Jun 2009 8 6363 22 Jan 2014