Visas and border crossings forum

No more Malaysia visa on arrival?

• foieslinger

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2009

just tried to purchase tickets on Air Asia from Sri Lanka to Kuala Lumpur and was told there is no more visa on arrival anywhere in Malyasia???????

#1 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 03:18

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

the Malaysia Vacation Guide website said the following:

Visa On Arrival: Malaysian Immigration Department will no longer be issuing Visa on Arrival (VOA), effective 15th August 2010.

however, it still depends on the nationality of your passport. according to the same website, folks from the United States, most ASEAN countries, and most Commonwealth countries, don't require a visa at all to enter Malaysia. Sri Lanka seems to be an exception to the Commonwealth no visa waiver though. are you from Sri Lanka or India?

http://www.malaysiavacationguide.com/malaysia-visa.html

#2 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 05:19

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Are you from Sri Lanka?

I think it depends on your nationality too ... many nationalities don't need a visa at all to enter Malaysia and get free entry stamps on arrival. I've been there twice since August and I got a 3 month entry stamp on arrival as usual.

If you do need a visa you'll probably have to get one from a Malaysian consulate before you go.

#3 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 10:29

• foieslinger

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2009

I'm an American Citizen and must have received the pop up message because I was booking a flight from Sri Lanka and not the US. Must have figured I was from Sri Lanka or India.

thanks for the replies!

#4 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 10:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa on arrival (Singapore, Malaysia) with no proof of onward journey ... By jokalla on 21 Jan 2013 2 2936 25 Jan 2013