Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

No more Malaysia visa on arrival?

Posted by foieslinger on 23/1/2011 at 03:18

just tried to purchase tickets on Air Asia from Sri Lanka to Kuala Lumpur and was told there is no more visa on arrival anywhere in Malyasia???????

#1 foieslinger has been a member since 11/11/2009. Posts: 36

Posted by exacto on 23/1/2011 at 05:19

the Malaysia Vacation Guide website said the following:

Visa On Arrival: Malaysian Immigration Department will no longer be issuing Visa on Arrival (VOA), effective 15th August 2010.

however, it still depends on the nationality of your passport. according to the same website, folks from the United States, most ASEAN countries, and most Commonwealth countries, don't require a visa at all to enter Malaysia. Sri Lanka seems to be an exception to the Commonwealth no visa waiver though. are you from Sri Lanka or India?

http://www.malaysiavacationguide.com/malaysia-visa.html

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,631
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by SBE on 23/1/2011 at 10:29

Are you from Sri Lanka?

I think it depends on your nationality too ... many nationalities don't need a visa at all to enter Malaysia and get free entry stamps on arrival. I've been there twice since August and I got a 3 month entry stamp on arrival as usual.

If you do need a visa you'll probably have to get one from a Malaysian consulate before you go.

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,004
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by foieslinger on 23/1/2011 at 10:43

I'm an American Citizen and must have received the pop up message because I was booking a flight from Sri Lanka and not the US. Must have figured I was from Sri Lanka or India.

thanks for the replies!

#4 foieslinger has been a member since 11/11/2009. Posts: 36

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.