Visas and border crossings forum

Free Tourist Visa

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Does anybody have information regarding the free Thai tourist visas? According to this website http://thailandlandofsmiles.com/visa/ and others, a scheme granting free 60 day tourist visas has been extended to March 2011. My queries are a) whether you have to travel before March 2011 or whether I could get one of these free visas for my trip in June and b) how do i get one?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated!

#1 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 01:09

• Advertisement

• Anandshivan

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2011
    Total reviews: 2

I just got a 60 day free Visa and I have to enter Bangkok before April 2011.... my friend in Belgium's was free as well.. same entry deadline..... so if you get yours by the end of March you might be able to use it in June depending on where you obtain your Visa....

#2 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 01:45

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"a) whether you have to travel before March 2011 or whether I could get one of these free visas for my trip in June"

You can still get one "free" in March and have it valid for 90 days and not pay more when you enter.

"b) how do i get one?"

Apply at any Thai embassy or consulate before the end of March deadline, but...
    some consulates have a "service charge" AND I wouldn't be surprised if Thai Immigration extends the "free" policy (without notice) as per the same policy (they've never given advance notice).

#3 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 02:11

• rledez1990

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

@ Captain Bob: So if i apply for one now will it be valid for a June entry to Thailand, or should i wait until March to apply? And is there a way of applying for the free visa by post? I got a Tourist Visa last year but paid the £28; i remember the postage being quite expensive so don't want to send an evelope with no money and then have it returned.
    Thank you for your help

#4 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 02:48

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Since you reside in the UK check out the Thai consulate in Hull
    http://www.thaiconsul.co.uk/downloads-and-visas.aspx
    They do double and triple-entry tourist visas by mail for about £8 at last check (during the "free" promotion until at least end of March). The visa is usually valid for 90 days (or 180 if you get a triple entry).

#5 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 19:23

• greektravel-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

i just received my tourist visa for 2 entries. 60 days each for free from London thailand consulate in victoria street.

#6 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 19:24

• greektravel-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

i just received my tourist visa for 2 entries. 60 days each for free from London thailand consulate in victoria street.

#7 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 19:24

• rledez1990

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

@greek traveller
    Would you mind tellimg me what is the 'visa must be utilised before...' date on your visa stamp?

#8 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 04:14

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

As others have said, if you apply for the triple entry visa (which is included in the freebie promotion) it'll have a 'visa must be utilised before...' date of 6 months from the date of issue. Return postage fee for the (always very reliable) Hull-based service is indeed £8 (they use Special Delivery to return your passport to you). Mine have always been turned around by them in 24 hours and back to me within 2 days.

#9 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 04:37

• rledez1990

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for your help everyone!
    Just to clarify for anyone else who's stuck, I rang the Thail Consul at Hull today and spoke to a nice lady who explained that as long as the date i apply is no earlier than 3 months before the date i travel, then i'll get my free visa! So if i'm 14th June i need to apply for it AFTER 14th march but BEFORE 31st march! Have to put a reminded on my phone for that one!
    Thanks again!

#10 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 16:51

• Advertisement

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi Chriswotten, all of my Thai visas are only valid 3 months from date of issue, not 6 months, is this a change?

Also, I understand (from their web site) that Birmingham charge a 12 pound 'service fee'; does anyone know if this is still so. Are they totally free if applied for in person in London?

#11 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 01:47

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi Chriswotten, all of my Thai visas are only valid 3 months from date of issue, not 6 months, is this a change?

Also, I understand (from their web site) that Birmingham charge a 15 pound 'service fee' and that multi entry visas are NOT free; does anyone know if this is still so. Are they totally free if applied for in person in London?

#12 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 01:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Free Tourist Visa ... By lm_w on 24 Jun 2009 1 2408 25 Jun 2009
Buy tourist visa and not use it until after free entry has expired? ... By zigzagry on 18 Mar 2010 6 2631 3 Apr 2010
free thai 2 month tourist visa ... By topogene88 on 9 Jan 2011 0 2831 9 Jan 2011