Visas and border crossings forum

Bus from Vientiane to Bangkok - Visa on arrival?

• zilpah

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2011

Hi,
    I'm am American in Laos right now, thinking about taking a bus from Vientiane to Bangkok next week. My question is about the Thailand visa. I know I get a free 15-day visa for arriving overland, but where will that happen? Will the bus stop for visas as we cross the border? Should I try to go to the embassy and get a visa beforehand? Any info would be really appreciated.
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 17:29

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

you just get the visa at the border. if you booked a bus from Vientiane to Bangkok I don't know how that actually works. I always get to the border myself as it isn't that far, cross it and then catch a bus in Nong Khai to Bangkok, or even the train would be a better option.

#2 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 19:44

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Yes, the bus stops at the border. You need to stamp out of Laos and then get a Thai visa. The bus to Bangkok is usually full of foreigners, so it'll wait for everyone to get their visas done!

#3 Posted: 22/2/2011 - 09:39

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If you still have time go to the Thai consulate in Vientiane and get a proper tourist visa. Apply 830am and pickup next day at 1pm (M-F only). Sure it's a small hassle but will permit you a 60-day entry extendable 30 more. But if you just need the 15 day visa exemption, go ahead and just take the bus and yes they have to stop and process everyone's passports on departure from the Laos side of the bridge and on arrival on the Thai side.

#4 Posted: 26/2/2011 - 18:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa on Arrival at Bangkok airport ... By callarda on 12 Jun 2010 4 4577 12 Jun 2010