Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Overland border crossings. Onward travel tickets??

Posted by jammi100 on 5/3/2011 at 20:01

Hiya,
Im planning on making as many border crossings as i can overland. Therefore the onward travel tickets for visa purposes is going to be a problem! Was planning on just using whatever transport i can find while out there and making only a couple of flights if possible. Will this be a major issue at the crossings??
Any advice??

#1 jammi100 has been a member since 19/2/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by Captain_Bob on 6/3/2011 at 13:41

In general not many requirements for proof of onward travel when crossing land borders in the region (Thailand,Laos,Cambodia). Might want to be more specific about which countries and be aware which of them require visa in advance (e.g. Vietnam) and/or have land border restrictions (e.g. Myanmar). Also depends on your nationality in some cases.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,824

Posted by jammi100 on 27/6/2011 at 15:46

Thanks Bob. I was thinking of the crossing from Cambodia into Laos at Don Kralor in particular.

#3 jammi100 has been a member since 19/2/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by vietnamrum on 7/7/2011 at 15:00

I went to Thailand with a return ticket but ended up not using the return, so have been floating between Thailand/Laos/Cambodia and Vietnam for about 4 years give or take a bit.

At no stage have i been asked for an onward journey ticket. I have heard of but never met anyone who has been required to get an onward ticket. The one i heard of was a flight into thailand, they were told to pay a flight out, they did and exchanged it back loosing a bit of commission. Traveling around S.E. Asia is a well trodden path. People do day/return border runs to get new visas frequently. A bus ticket between countries can be $10 to $20.

If some one has had to have a ticket please post.

Enjoy

#4 vietnamrum has been a member since 21/1/2011. Posts: 39

Posted by lunar on 5/8/2011 at 02:46

When I flew to Jakarta, they asked for an onward ticket.

#5 lunar has been a member since 3/8/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by christay2009 on 5/8/2011 at 21:48

Flying into Bali - no need for onward proof.

Although I don't think the OP mentions Indonesia and the title is 'overland' crossings... :) just thought i'd put it out there!

#6 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.