Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Thai Visa in Penang on on arrival in BKK

Posted by foieslinger on 6/3/2011 at 12:45

Currently on vacation in Malaysia and hadn't planned on going to Thailand this year but I am having some dental issues. It's expensive here so I would like to head to Bangkok to see a dentist.

Can I get a tourist visa in Penang or can I fly into BKK and get a visa on arrival at the airport?

I am an American citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen.

#1 foieslinger has been a member since 11/11/2009. Posts: 36

Posted by Captain_Bob on 6/3/2011 at 13:47

You can get a tourist visa in Penang (or KL or Kota Bharu) in Malaysia which will gain you a 60-day entry to Thailand (regardless if entering by land or air). Or you can get a tourist visa exemption (not an actual visa) on arrival to Thailand which is a 30-day entry arriving by air but only 15 days if entering by land.

So fly to Bangkok for an easy 30-day stamp or if in doubt about your timeframe get the more flexible tourist visa in advance.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.