Visas and border crossings forum

Thai Visa in Penang on on arrival in BKK

• foieslinger

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2009

Currently on vacation in Malaysia and hadn't planned on going to Thailand this year but I am having some dental issues. It's expensive here so I would like to head to Bangkok to see a dentist.

Can I get a tourist visa in Penang or can I fly into BKK and get a visa on arrival at the airport?

I am an American citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen.

#1 Posted: 6/3/2011 - 12:45

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You can get a tourist visa in Penang (or KL or Kota Bharu) in Malaysia which will gain you a 60-day entry to Thailand (regardless if entering by land or air). Or you can get a tourist visa exemption (not an actual visa) on arrival to Thailand which is a 30-day entry arriving by air but only 15 days if entering by land.

So fly to Bangkok for an easy 30-day stamp or if in doubt about your timeframe get the more flexible tourist visa in advance.

#2 Posted: 6/3/2011 - 13:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
thai tourist visa in penang ... By ambersaffron on 22 Nov 2011 3 1614 5 Dec 2011
Thai Visa in Penang, Malaysia ... By jc1257 on 19 Feb 2012 2 2028 21 Feb 2012