Visas and border crossings forum

Re-entering Thailand with other passport after exit with another

• YoSato

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2011

"I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.
    I'm currently in Thailand. I entered Thailand with a Thai passport (Dual nationality) but I chose to apply for university in Thailand with my British passport because its way easier than using a Thai passport.

The problem is.. "I WAS ASKED, BY THE UNI, TO APPLY FOR A FREAKING VISA AS A FOREIGN STUDENT"

I was told by the immigration office at Mae Sai , Thai/Burma Border that I will have to fly or get out of the country some ) where/how with a Thai passport and enter back in with my British passport to obtain the foreign visa stamp for (apparently)90days, anywhere but Thai/Burma border at Mae Sai because they will only gives 15days which is not enough to apply for a non-ed visa(minimum days needed of stamp to apply for NON-ED Visa is 21days).

Are there any borders that will allow me to do so? Or is there a way to obtain such stamps without exiting the country?

Guys, If anyone could answer/help me with this question please quickly do so.
    I am dying of finding out the answer to solve this problem... Because it is coming up close to the opening of the campus.

Thanks,
    much appreciated,

Yo Sato.

#1 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 16:01

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You can't get the visa inside Thailand. They are only issued by Thai consulates which by definition are outside the Kingdom. The nearest one from northern Thailand is in Vientiane. Takes two days (M-F only) and as of today costs 1000 baht per entry (they were free up until March 31st). They might extend the free of charge policy but have yet to hear anything about it. On a UK passport you'll then be granted a 60-day entry extendable 30 more.

At the border all they can give you is a 15-day visa exemption - not a real visa anyway.

Don't understand why you're applying to a Thai uni as a Brit when you're in fact Thai as well, but that's another story.

#2 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 18:30

• YoSato

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2011

Thank you for your reply.
    oh right.. So in this case, the only to get a visa is fly to Vientiane, right? did you say it takes two days for the process of getting it? Overall including traveling, will take about 4-5days, wont it?

Do i have to fly there only,, or could i just get there by coach or whatever via Nong Khai, Northeast Thailand? Do i need a Visa to enter Lao?

Cheers

#3 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 18:59

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It doesn't matter if you go by air or by land. Get the visa and then come back to Thailand by any means and you'll get a 60-day entry.

#4 Posted: 2/4/2011 - 00:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.