Visas and border crossings forum

Vietnam to Laos with motorbike

  • iso_the_best

    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2011
    Posts: 1

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    Dear All,

    I would like to know if that is possible to cross Vietnam to Laos border with motorbike? My plan is to go to Laos from Vietnam with my motorbike and coming back to Vietnam by another border.

    I would like to cross the border at NamCan / Nam Khan for going and at Dien Bien Phu for the return.

    Is that possible?
    Do we have to pay a deposit?
    Which kinf of paper do we need?

    Do you think it is easier to put the motorbikes on the roof of a local bus from Vinh (Vietnam) and crossing the border by bus?

    That way we can maybe manage to say that the motorbikes are belong to Vietnamese citizen.

    I know that full of Vietnameses are crossing the border with their motorbike without any problems.

    Please give me your advices.


    #1 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 00:40

  • Advertisement

  • kenpreston46

    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2011
    Posts: 3

    Hello, I crossed twice into Laos with a Vietnamese bike, once from northern Cambodia in 2008, then at Lao Bao (Viet Nam) in 2009. In 2009 there was a little fuss when Immigration thought Customs should have given me paperwork for the bike. But it all came to nothing and I had a good 2 week trip. In 2010 they would not let me in with the bike at Lao Bao. Said I had to leave the bike at the border and take a bus. Then they said it would be all right to rent a Lao bike in Savannakhet or wherever and then I could go anywhere I want, but no more Vietnamese bikes with 3rd country riders. After that I heard other people say the same on this forum. It might be a real problem. Too bad, it's good riding and wonderful people. Rent in Savannakhet I guess.

    #2 Posted: 29/10/2011 - 02:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.