Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Need visa for China in Vietnam

Posted by fourdots on 15/4/2011 at 20:54

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am thoroughly confused about getting a visa for china from Vietnam (Australian passports) as I have read differing information on where, when, how etc. Can I get visas for my family in Hanoi or only HCMC? Do we have to send our passports all the way from Hanoi to HCMC for processing? How much should they cost? I read something about getting visas at the border near Sapa - anyone know? Wouldn't like to chance it with 2 kids in tow. Would it be better to leave the country and try to get a Chinese visa from Bangkok or in Laos, Hong Kong or anywhere else big? Can we got to Taiwan to get a Chinese visa? So many questions. Hope there are some answers. Thanks, Karina

#1 fourdots has been a member since 15/4/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by travellingsarah on 16/4/2011 at 10:05 TF writer

Oddly enough I've just been looking into this and am planning a trip to the Embassy in Hanoi next week to see if I can get any further information. But anyway, by all accounts it is impossible for a tourist to get a visa for China in Hanoi. You might be able to sort it out in HCMC. Best advice for now is to get it out of the country if you can but I will update if I find out more next week.

#2 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by goonistik on 16/4/2011 at 11:19

The People's Republic of China (PROC) has an embassy in Hanoi and a consulate in HCMC. Think of the embassy as the head office and the consulate as a branch office. Normally, a consulate offers many of the functions of an embassy such as visa processing.

If you do have to leave Vietnam, you can probably scratch Taiwan off your list. When the communists won the civil war, the remnants of the government of the Republic of China escaped to Taiwan and set up shop there. AFAIK, there are only informal linkages between the two and I doubt that PROC has an embassy there. PROC considers Taiwan to be a renegade province so they see no need to setup an embassy.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by fourdots on 16/4/2011 at 13:29

Thanks for your assistance so far. Might see you at the office in Hanoi on Monday!

#4 fourdots has been a member since 15/4/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by Xinchao on 27/4/2011 at 16:22

I think you can get a visa from the Chinese Embassy in Hanoi very easily. We certainly did a couple of years ago and I don't think it has changed. It takes a few days.

#5 Xinchao has been a member since 27/4/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by ReneeMurray23 on 26/4/2013 at 01:30

Hi, I am an Australian citizen living in Vietnam. I am travelling to China in a month and need to sort out visa. I am closest to Ho Chi minh city so can easily get to the Consulate. How has the experience been for anyone getting a visa in Vietnam as a foreigner? I've read you can get a 90 day visa but is it possible to get a 30 day instead?
Thanks for any help in advance!
Renee

#6 ReneeMurray23 has been a member since 26/4/2013. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.