Visas and border crossings forum

Need visa for China in Vietnam

• fourdots

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am thoroughly confused about getting a visa for china from Vietnam (Australian passports) as I have read differing information on where, when, how etc. Can I get visas for my family in Hanoi or only HCMC? Do we have to send our passports all the way from Hanoi to HCMC for processing? How much should they cost? I read something about getting visas at the border near Sapa - anyone know? Wouldn't like to chance it with 2 kids in tow. Would it be better to leave the country and try to get a Chinese visa from Bangkok or in Laos, Hong Kong or anywhere else big? Can we got to Taiwan to get a Chinese visa? So many questions. Hope there are some answers. Thanks, Karina

#1 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 20:54

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Oddly enough I've just been looking into this and am planning a trip to the Embassy in Hanoi next week to see if I can get any further information. But anyway, by all accounts it is impossible for a tourist to get a visa for China in Hanoi. You might be able to sort it out in HCMC. Best advice for now is to get it out of the country if you can but I will update if I find out more next week.

#2 Posted: 16/4/2011 - 10:05

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The People's Republic of China (PROC) has an embassy in Hanoi and a consulate in HCMC. Think of the embassy as the head office and the consulate as a branch office. Normally, a consulate offers many of the functions of an embassy such as visa processing.

If you do have to leave Vietnam, you can probably scratch Taiwan off your list. When the communists won the civil war, the remnants of the government of the Republic of China escaped to Taiwan and set up shop there. AFAIK, there are only informal linkages between the two and I doubt that PROC has an embassy there. PROC considers Taiwan to be a renegade province so they see no need to setup an embassy.

#3 Posted: 16/4/2011 - 11:19

• fourdots

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2011

Thanks for your assistance so far. Might see you at the office in Hanoi on Monday!

#4 Posted: 16/4/2011 - 13:29

• Xinchao

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

I think you can get a visa from the Chinese Embassy in Hanoi very easily. We certainly did a couple of years ago and I don't think it has changed. It takes a few days.

#5 Posted: 27/4/2011 - 16:22

• ReneeMurray-

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

Hi, I am an Australian citizen living in Vietnam. I am travelling to China in a month and need to sort out visa. I am closest to Ho Chi minh city so can easily get to the Consulate. How has the experience been for anyone getting a visa in Vietnam as a foreigner? I've read you can get a 90 day visa but is it possible to get a 30 day instead?
    Thanks for any help in advance!
    Renee

#6 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 01:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Acquiring a Visa for China in Vietnam ... By JunglistSolja on 9 Oct 2009 4 2028 19 Oct 2009