Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Ferrying from Saigon to Phnom Penh on Mekong Delta....

Posted by fitzlee on 7/1/2007 at 19:13

Thinking about doing the captioned soon, is it feasible? If yes, how is it? Thanks.

#1 fitzlee has been a member since 11/12/2006. Posts: 13

Posted by fitzlee on 7/1/2007 at 19:14

Further to the previous question, can I get the visa at the border??

#2 fitzlee has been a member since 11/12/2006. Posts: 13

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/1/2007 at 22:05 admin

Boats from Saigon are extremely irregular as far as I know, but from Mytho there are freighters that head west to Tan Chau (for Chau Doc) -- departures are roughly weekly-- and the trip is overnight. When I aked around at the freighter pier in 2006 was quoted between 70,000 and 150,000 dong per person for the trip.

You can apparently also organise similar deals from Long Xuyen and Can Tho, though the speedboat from Can Tho to Phnom Penh has been suspended.

From Chau Doc speedboats and slowboats leave daily for the trip to Phnom Penh.

Yes you can get a Cambodian visa at the border.

Have fun!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,434
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by princessdisaster on 31/1/2007 at 09:11

A few years ago I went from Saigon to PP on a 3 day mekong delta tour, I think it was $20-$30ish incuding some meals and 2 nights accomodation. It was just your standard organised tour through asia, nothing special, herded in and out of cramped mini buses and not so cramped boats, but at the time it was an easy way to for me to see a bit of the mekong delta and head back to PP. I just wondered around the backpacker area in Saigon and found a tour at one of the many travel agents.

#4 princessdisaster has been a member since 30/11/2006. Posts: 36

Posted by marianwarren on 1/2/2007 at 13:25

Hi fitzlee

I don't know how soon soon is you may already be floating down the Mekong, but if you haven't left yet this may be of help.

We left Saigon on Christmas Day for a 3 day tour. As princessdisaster said there are many agents offering 1, 2, 3 and even 4 - this includes a homestay. Prices range from $26 - $41 for the 3 day. The difference is how long you travel by bus and how long by water. So when shopping around ask which sectors are by water. We booked with Delta Tours in De Tham St and paid the higher price of $41 because we wanted to spend as much time on the river as possible as we didn't take the 2 day Huay Xai - Luang Prabang slow boat.

The cheaper tours take you by bus to My Tho. Our tour did that sector by boat which took 5 hours - so more time on the river the more it costs. We enjoyed the extra time after travelling through Laos by bus.

Travel well

Marian

#5 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Posted by marianwarren on 1/2/2007 at 13:37

An afterthought. Re the Cambodian visa - in our case the tour guide got off the boat about 90 mins before the border, all our passports and immigration forms in hand. There were many jokes about that being the last time we would see them but the guide went ahead by scooter so that when we arrived at the border all the visas were done.

It's also a little confusing here because it isn't made clear where the Cambodian immigation office is and you also change from a Viet boat to a Cambodian one. So find out which boat is your ongoing transport when you get off

#6 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Posted by fitzlee on 1/2/2007 at 20:33

Thanks for the reply, everyone! We have already done it. 2 days tour with Singh cafe. It was definitely worth doing so!!! A beautiful farewell to Vietnam and nice way to get to Cambodia!

#7 fitzlee has been a member since 11/12/2006. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.