Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand, away, and then back again - what visa do I need/will I be allowed in?

• HexagonalBo-
    lts

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2011

Hello everyone,

I know that there are ton of threads asking this question but I can't find any that apply to my specific case.

I live in England. I am flying to Thailand from Nepal on June 29th. I want to stay there for around 21 days. I will then go travelling in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, and return to Thailand for a few days just to get my flight back home from Bangkok on August 19th. At first I thought I would be OK with a visa exemption, as I am there for under 30 days, and then when re-arriving by land for under 15 days - but then I read that I will not be allowed in to the country by my airline if I do not have a visa or a flight booked to go out of the country within 30 days - so am I required to get a visa?

This is very confusing to me so thank you very much for any replies!

#1 Posted: 5/5/2011 - 06:39

• Advertisement

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

I booked my flights for 32 days in SE Asia, and I'm pretty much following your route. When booking the travel agent at STA Travel told us that we would only need the free 30 day by air then further 15 days by land visa. She didn't mention anything about needing an on going flight within the time, so I hope not!

#2 Posted: 5/5/2011 - 16:18

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

it's all good. If you leave England and they tell you there that you actually need the visa, just tell them that you get one at the airport in thailand for 30 days and that you will be travelling by land to another country. I've never had any problems with that in the last 3,5 years.

#3 Posted: 5/5/2011 - 16:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa- to thailand and back from KL ... By elissabrown on 12 Jan 2011 2 1852 18 Jan 2011