Visas and border crossings forum

What Thai visa

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

Will be leaving for SE Asia from the UK and using thailand as a base to explore Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Malaysia.

What is the best visa to get get? Tourist 60 day visa?

Also if say i arrive in thailand and stay for 20 days, then visit myanmar for 10 days do i have another 10 days included in the initial 30 of my thai stay?

Just trying to work out the best way to do this. If you want to travel around SE asia - will you need to be doing visa runs etc?

#1 Posted: 5/5/2011 - 21:52

• Advertisement

• greektravel-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

its simple as that. if you travel to thailand without a proper tourist visa you will get 30 days on arrival. once you leave to myanmar after 20 days in thailand you will get an exit stamp and your 30 days visa is expired. when you return you will get only 15 days if you come overland. if you come by plane you will get 30. if you apply for a tourist visa e.g, with 2 entrys that means that you have 2 x 60 days. So e.g you arrive in thailand u get 60 days. you leave to myanmar after 20 days your first 60 days are used. then when you return overland or by flight you will get 60 days again. regardless if you leave earlier you have only 60 days and they will be come no longer in use once you leave. however you can get always a 30 day or 15 day if your tourist visa is expired. depending on your itenary you might need to do visa runs. I did this...arrived in thailand with visa for 60 days left to laos then cambodia and returned now to thailand. my 2 x 60 days are used. I have 60 days remaining until i leave. however i am planning to go to vietnam so my options are to go vietnam and fly back so i can get 30 days on arrival.

#2 Posted: 6/5/2011 - 00:33

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

That makes perfect sencse. Just to clarify - If you get the tourist visa from UK consulate you can have 60 days on re entry from burma overland or air?

#3 Posted: 6/5/2011 - 16:12

• greektravel-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

yes you will get 60 days if you go with a tourist visa either land or air. but if you only have visa on arrival its 15 days for land crossing and 30 days for air

#4 Posted: 6/5/2011 - 18:43

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

UK citizens qualify for visa exemption (30 days arriving by air, 15 days arriving by land) and each time you leave the current entry expires, but you get a fresh one each time you re-enter. Note that if using the visa exemption scheme, many airlines (when you depart the UK) require you to show proof of onward travel within 30 days.

For added flexibility get a proper tourist visa. The Thai consulate in Hull issues single, double, and triple entry tourist visas by mail and are very efficient and user-friendly.
    http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com

#5 Posted: 6/5/2011 - 19:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.