Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Border crossing at Poipet

Posted by jgnitt on 9/5/2011 at 20:23

My friend and I are currently in Phnom Penh and going on to Siem Reap tomorrow. From there we were planning on heading to Bangkok on the 12th or 13th by a combination of taxi/bus and crossing the border at Poipet on foot. Can anyone let me know if we need to have a departure ticket from Thailand to do this? I've seen mixed reviews on the internet, and while we could fly in if absolutely necessary, it would really cut into our trip budget and we'd rather save the money traveling by land. Anyone with recent experience or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

#1 jgnitt has been a member since 23/4/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by KirstyB on 10/5/2011 at 09:46

I've never been asked for an onward ticket at this border (or anywhere else for that matter) so wouldn't anticipate it being a problem.

#2 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by Thomas922 on 10/5/2011 at 10:17

I have never heard anything of the sort. Just hit the border!

#3 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: Global Village. Posts: 346

Posted by Captain_Bob on 10/5/2011 at 21:38

I remember the Thai immigration guys were "requiring" proof of outbound travel from Thailand at that border a few years ago, but nothing like that anytime recently. Pretty much guarantee you'll have no such issues crossing now.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by jgnitt on 12/5/2011 at 12:19

Perfect! Thanks for the help!

#5 jgnitt has been a member since 23/4/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.