Visas and border crossings forum

Crossing into Thailand by land - Visa extension

• flexo_24

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2011

Hi guys,

So, a pretty simple question, and one that I'm a bit emabrassed to be asking on this sort of forum as I'm sure the answer is out there, but I've been trawling the internet and travelfish for hours now and can't find the answer. So apologies if this is a really easy question to answer.

I'm hoping to cycle from Singapore all the way up to the Thai border where I'll get a 15 Day Visa (as I'm entering on land) so then I have 15 days to get an extension on the visa. The question is just where and how do I actually do this? Is it just a case of going along to the embassy in the street, or can I extend it on the day that I actually cross the border? Or is there anything else that I don't seem to know about?

Thank you :~)
    Ali

#1 Posted: 12/5/2011 - 13:05

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

so you want an extension on your 15 day visa for thailand: not possible.
    you can arrange a new visa while in thailand (for 1 month) but this will not be an extension of the 15 free visa (which is just a stamp anyway).

Look on the internet for the embassies. if there's nothing around from the place where you are, just get it done at some tourist centre. can take you 1 to 3 days till you get it back. otherwise just go to BKK and arrange it yourself. I don't now where all the places are to get a thai visa but there should be many.

I've been to BKK, Chiang Mai, Nong Khai and Udon Thani for visa's so you'll probably find something down south as well.

good luck

#2 Posted: 12/5/2011 - 17:03

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Entering Thailand on a 15-day visa exemption (not a visa) you can extend that by only seven days at a cost of 1900 baht. This is done at any Thailand Immigration office in the country List Here (click the Checkpoints tab).

You cannot get a Thai tourist visa inside Thailand unless your nationality qualifies for "visa on arrival" (mostly East Europeans) and then only at specified entry points. Sounds like it doesn't apply to you though.

Anyway if you want to stay in Thailand longer than 15 days entering by land get a proper tourist visa in Singapore or Malaysia (KL, Kota Bharu, or Penang). And with further visa-related questions it helps to know your nationality. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 23:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa on Arrival(land crossing from Thailand) - completing the form ... By Boohoo on 24 Oct 2013 6 1189 27 Oct 2013
Business visa at land crossing? ... By Kaitlynnicole02 on 2 Feb 2014 2 831 8 Feb 2014
Crossing into Myanmar from Thailand via land ... By karynelder on 29 Feb 2008 1 4957 29 Feb 2008
Thailand 15 day visa extension ... By spudman on 16 Nov 2011 5 3480 18 Nov 2011
Visa from Laos - Thailand on land ... By LeChron on 7 May 2011 7 3147 11 May 2011
Thailand Land Visa (multiple entries?) ... By Fangtasia on 22 Jan 2013 5 2246 23 Jan 2013
Obtaining a Visa: Hanoi to Loas to Thailand by Land ... By curiouscarol on 17 Jan 2009 1 3529 19 Jan 2009
Can I travel via land boarder from Malaysia to Thailand with a Tourist 30 day visa? ... By eflaherty on 4 May 2013 2 1411 5 May 2013
Crossing Myanmar by land ... By Indiantraveler on 2 Feb 2012 5 3109 15 Feb 2012
crossing over land from Myanmar into Bangladesh ... By Rukus on 1 Feb 2013 2 3227 21 Jul 2013