Visas and border crossings forum

Avoid Train From Nong Khai To Thalang!!!

• Naturepunk3-

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2011

This place is a scam.
    1. The worker behind the counter lied to me and told me the train went all the way to Veintaine when, in reality, it goes just over teh bridge where it dumps you at imagration. About 20-30 Baht for a 5 minute train ride (Which I know might not sound like a lot of money when you compare it everything back home, but as a long term budget traveler who had just paid 250 to go all the way from Bangkok (612 Km's and a 12 hour trip) I was a pit pissed.
    2. Even though it was almost 9:30 in the morning , we had to wait for almost half an hour for the border counter to open, even though there was at least 4 officials walking aroudn doing nothing. Looked like a money grab to me, basically being stuck inbetween countries with the only ststaion shop being over priced and douchbaggy Tuk Tuk drivers slowly gathered around the exit.
    3. Prices were pretty extreme for transpot. They "say" it's 50 Baht per person but really, like a lot of places out here, he will only leave the station for the fixed price of 300 Baht, he can take 6 people but unless your traveling in a big group this leaves the solo traveler pretty much fucked if theres no room. Also they has these crazy posted prices of a bus service to some of teh bigger tourist destinations. They had Vang Veing priced at 3,000 Baht for the 4 hour trip! (Roughly 100 USD!) The highest I've heard since then is maybe 80,000 Kip, or 10 USD
    4. I met this couple who were getting picked up by there Uncle who said they could give me and thsi other french couple a free lift into town. Great! Until a Tuk Tuk driver came over and started feeding some bullshit about a fake law that states that forgeiners have to pay to leave the train station if there not getting picked up by family (What an extremely convenient subsection of Lao law that seemingly would only affect people in our situation!) motioning over to the police officers who were watching to all of this from the station (bloody corrupt pigs were in on it) and basically scared away out ride. All of this went down in French so I wasn't fully aware of the situation until I was halfway to the city with the french couple in another Tuk Tuk (what else could we do at that point?) ******* Scam Artists.

I know it's not the worst crossing in the area and all in all they didn't rip us off superbad, but It's a place where you basicaly get stuck and don't have a lot of options and one I wouldn't recomend anyone to take. I hear there's a train from Udon Thani that goes ALL the way into the city and will stop long enough for you to go through all the necessary customs. Probably a better option for the future.

#1 Posted: 25/5/2011 - 09:57

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Totally agree. There's really no point to the Thanaleng station at this stage. You just wait a lot longer for what is effectively a ride across the bridge to a mostly ceremonial isolated location, then are at the mercy of very few transport options the remaining 25km to the city.

Until such time as the railway actually goes into Vientiane proper, just hop out at Nong Khai and take the 20 baht frequent bus over the bridge and get another frequent 50 baht bus into the city.

#2 Posted: 25/5/2011 - 15:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Train 69, Bangkok to Nong Khai ... By Boulos on 27 May 2011 5 3944 12 Jun 2011
Bangkok – Nong Khai train question. ... By kif on 15 Sep 2010 3 3029 16 Sep 2010
BKK train to Nong Khai, stopping at Ayutthaya ... By textibule on 21 Dec 2010 2 2987 21 Dec 2010
Avoid nhatrang tours on 1/24 tran quang khai, nha trang ... By denisell on 19 Apr 2014 0 324 19 Apr 2014
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3768 19 Feb 2010
Fireball at Nong Khai ... By neosho on 31 Oct 2012 0 1476 31 Oct 2012
Best Way f/ Chang Mai to Nong Khai ... By mespena on 31 Jan 2007 4 4159 1 Feb 2007
Nong Khai to Laos ... By Kevi19 on 5 May 2012 10 1775 10 May 2012
Aranyaprathet to Nong Khai ... By Layabout on 22 Jul 2008 2 6064 23 Jul 2008
violence in nong khai? ... By amezella on 3 Apr 2009 6 4155 7 Jun 2009