Visas and border crossings forum

SEasia to Australia

• joe_leviente

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2011

hi guys,

I'm going to be backpacking around SEasia for 7 months (aug-march) then getting a flight to Australia, where I'll be spending 1-2 years on a working holiday visa.

At the moment I'm looking at the flight between Asia and Australia, does anyone have any advice regarding the cheapest/easiest way to do it? I'm thinking Kuala Lumpur to Brisbane would be a possibility, anyone know any better? Do you reckon I should book the ticket way in advance, or will the prices not go up too much if I leave it to the last minute?

the reason I'm heading to Brisbane is so I can hopefully do a short stint of harvest work to build up a bit more cash before moving on to somewhere else in Oz - if anyone reckons I would do better starting somewhere else, let me know about that too!

Sorry if all of this seems like common knowledge, I'm from England so I don't know much about travel on the other side of the world!

thanks,

joe

#1 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 17:41

• Advertisement

• joe_leviente

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2011

on second thoughts, the flood earlier this year completely slipped my mind.

my heart goes out to all of those affected by it

does anyone know how well / if the area is recovering?

#2 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 21:41

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Hi Joe,

In regards to flying to Australia we have always found Air Asia to be the cheapest. You will have to fly into Kuala Lumpur and then get a connecting flight from there to Aus, but it's still always worked out to be the cheapest way for us. Obviously compare with other airlines before booking just to be safe, you never know that kind of sales are happening. It's kind of a catch 22 with regards to booking early vs. last minute. Ticket prices do tend to increase the closer you get to your travel date, but on the flip side lots of airlines have sales for cheap flights and websites such as lastminute.com can have some good deals too. Either way you're probably only looking at a difference of $100 or so. Depends on the time of year too. Anywhere around Christmas time will be expensive and possibly booked out far in advance.

In regards to the floods in Queensland, I'm not sure how the recovery is going in regards to the farming industry which is obviously going to be something you'll need to know if you plan on getting work up there, but in terms of tourist dollars, well they are obviously well needed now more than ever and hopefully you'll still choose to head there. Fruit prices did skyrocket after the floods obviously due to lost crops (I assume you'll be fruit picking??), but they aren't too bad now so I'm sure you'll find some sort of work. This website may be of some help http://www.fruitpicking.org/

Happy travels :)

#3 Posted: 25/6/2011 - 18:09

• joe_leviente

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2011

sweet, thanks for that.

yeah, my predicament is that i'll probably get to australia with just enough money to get me in, then need to find work within the next month or two if i'm gonna stay. need to find somewhere I can find work easily!

will anywhere have a tourist season starting around march? That way I could find bar or hospitality work. I know it'll be coming up to winter in most of the country wont it? so i'm guessing that'll be low season and won't be as many touristy jobs.

Price-wise, does it make a difference which airport in australia I fly into?

Joe

#4 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 21:53

• dejavu619

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

I am also planning to go backpacking and just looking for australia visa requirements, I am planning to go in victoria for some diving trip. any thoughts?

#5 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 15:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
getting a working holiday visa for australia - in SEasia ... By joe_leviente on 20 Jun 2011 2 2427 1 Aug 2011