Visas and border crossings forum

Bad info about crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia with Vietnamese motorbike?

• brand0n

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2011

I have heard that it is pretty hassle-free to cross into Cambodia with a Vietnamese motorbike, but one response that I got from a rental shop in Hanoi has me a bit worried:

"According to me ride up through Cambodia from Vn side it is not sensible idea because Vietnamese custom not accept to ride any motorbike(even bike in your own name) to Cambodia if the bike don’t have a permit road work for crossing border. it make by ministry of communications and transport."

We are planning on going from HCMC up through Cambodia and Laos, back to Hanoi via Sapa. This shop wants us to start in Hanoi and end in HCMC, so they could be trying to convince us to rent through their shop in Hanoi rather than buy in Saigon.

Has anyone had problems crossing into Cambodia with a Vietnamese bike? We plan on crossing between Rach Gia/Kep.

#1 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 04:53

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I thought I'd resurrect this post since I've had no replies for possibility of buying Minsk in Cambodia and thought it might be easier to got to Saigon and buy one.Any updates on what's needed to ride through into Cambodia would be appreciated.

#2 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 16:43

• brand0n

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2011

I've heard several positive reports about crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia. Here is part of an e-mail I recently received from another traveler:
    We crossed Vietnam – Cambodia border in Bavet and it was piece of cake. Noone even asked us to get our bags throug the x-ray. We got cambodian visa on arrival (30 days) and it costed us $20 but it depends on country you are from. No bikes paper checked or required. The only thing we did, we put plate numbers on the departure/arrival card to have any proof we crossed the border with our motorbikes.
    I'm going to be departing for Vietnam in less than 48 hours and will ride up through Cambodia, Laos, and then back to Vietnam and out of Hanoi. I've logged a good bit of my preparation here:
    http://gl0betrot.tumblr.com/
    and will update our progress once we get there. We will probably be making the crossing into Cambodia in two to three weeks. We have chosen to stay away from Minsk bikes because many people have told us that it is difficult to find mechanics/parts for them outside of the hilly/mountainous parts of Vietnam.

#3 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 01:09

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

What i've been told about the Minsk is it's fairly reliable with the exception of the coil.So was advised to buy a handful when able.Thanks forr the advise.I take it the Cambodian authorities will accept Vietnamese plates then.No need to pay the cost of new ones.

#4 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 14:05

• gabrielgodin

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

Reply to Sayadian about the Minsk: so How was your experience with the Minsk ?!
    I have lived in Vietnam for 3 years already and came to Vietnam for 4 months in 2004 when I had my first bike: a Minsk. At this time, when it broke, older guys who worked as mechanics during the Communist Era helped me, but this era is unfortunately getting to an end. Moreover, coils are not the only issue at all. I have got other bikes between 2004 and 2008 (the period I wasn't in Vietnam) and learned about the mechanic. When I came back in 2008, I had a Minsk right away, and seriously, this bike is so unreliable then it can even split a group of travelers in two: the one with Japanese bikes (or copies), and the ones with Minsks. The ones with Minsk constantly stop for unlimited reasons and the guys with reliable have to wait. If you want to have more info on how to get a cheap Honda Win (not original: Honda stopped making Wins in 1996, so if a guy tells you it's original, either he's lying, either it's an old piece of caca, or either it's been so much rebuilt that it's a trans between an original and copy: which is still much better) in Hanoi, drop me an email at gabriel.godin@live.ca
    Cheers guys! and don't be so paranoid: just ask the oldies!

#5 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 23:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam - Cambodia crossing by motorbike ... By crashe on 20 Nov 2011 2 1410 2 Dec 2011
Entering Laos from Cambodia on Vietnamese Motorbike? ... By brand0n on 27 Jun 2011 0 2310 27 Jun 2011
Lao to Vietnam border crossing on motorbike ... By Bennyshorter on 28 Jun 2013 0 1250 28 Jun 2013
Vietnam and Cambodia - Conflicting Info ... By abs004 on 10 Oct 2013 16 3206 14 Oct 2013
I need up to date crossing info on Tachileik/Mae Sai ... By AngusW on 14 Apr 2012 4 1815 15 Apr 2012
Vietnam/Cambodia 2013 Trip - My Helpful Tips/Info ... By abs004 on 23 Dec 2013 4 1692 27 Dec 2013