Visas and border crossings forum

Thai visa question

• Shaneo88

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2011
    Location United States

Im heading to thailand in a month and i am about ready to apply for my visa. My plan is to fly into bankok then spend about a month in chang mai/chang rai arrea the head to laos for a week or so. I would then probably head south and stay the next two months in souther thailand/malaysia. My question is since i would be entering the country technically three times do i need to pay the $35 fee three times for each entry or can i just do two since i would only be entering once from laos and once from malaysia over land? would it be ok just using my 30 visa exemption after arriving by air then using the two entrys toward the times when i arrive by land?

#1 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 04:29

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If you can get a double or even triple-entry tourist visa before your trip that will give you maximum flexability. You'll typically need at least some visa to show when you board the flight from the US anyway. Then use your available entries judiciously, and remember if/when the entries run out you can still get 30 days visa-exempt re/entering Thailand by air (15 days if entering by land).

#2 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 01:41

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

your first entry of arriving in bangkok by air fits the first leg of your trip just fine, since you'll get a 30-day exemption at the airport, which is what you'll need before you head over to laos. those 30-day exemption-on-arrival stamps are free.

but after that, you've got some logistics to work out, since unless you are flying back into thailand from laos, as Bob mentions above you'll only get 15 days exemption arriving by land, which doesn't fit your two months plan for southern thailand. you'll need a visa-on-arrival for laos too by the way, so have your $35 to $40 in us cash if you can plus a few passport-sized photos for the application.

you can apply for a 60-day tourist visa when you are in laos at the thai embassy in vientiane. that will give you the time you need, but will cost money and time and limit your flexibility.

i like Bob's suggestion of getting the multi-entry visa if you can, since that way it is all sorted ahead of time and you won't have to waste part of your holiday tracking down a visa. even just the two entries should sort you out fine, since you can get that last entry as a 15-day arrival by land exemption from malaysia back into thailand, which should be enough to get you back up to BKK for the return flight.

clear as mud?

#3 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 02:35

• Shaneo88

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2011
    Location United States

Thanks for the responses! so just that i am making this clear what im asking, i just sent in my $70 to the thai embassy in los angeles for my two entries on a tourist visa. I will:

-Fly into bkk from la and have a 30 day emption visa by.
    -spend about that amount of time in northern thailand
    -head to laos for a couple weeks
    -then head back to thailand and use ONE of the prepaid entries visa to get back in
    -spend a couple months approx in thailand
    -then go to indonesia for a while
    -then come back to thailand on the second entry that i paid for on the visa
    -then fly out.

On another note, when i paid for two entries, that only gives me entry into the country two times within that 90 day period correct? or can it be used 90 days per entry?

#4 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 11:00

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Warning. I flew into Bangkok last November with a double entry visa meaning to leave next day for Cambodia.I asked immigration if they'd just give me the 30 day visa exemption stamp to leave my Thai visa intact.He was adamant it was NOT possible and duly stamped one of my visa entries which left me with only the one entry left.I hope you get better luck but be aware.

#5 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 13:46

• Shaneo88

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2011
    Location United States

well since im assuming that the visa is a separate document, couldnt i just omit the fact that i have it and use it when i arrive into the country from laos by land?

#6 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 14:31

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The visa is a large stamp which takes up one page of your passport. You may have better luck than me. Thai immigration law is pretty complex and I doubt even individual immigration officers understand it fully but my post was just a heads up.Anyway good luck on your trip.

#7 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 14:45

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sound like another thing they've changed recently sayadian. I've asked for them to not stamp visas and just give me an entry stamp a few times and they've always been OK with with it. Maybe something to do with the fact that visas were free last year?

#8 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 15:59

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Could be that my visa was stamped 'gratis' hadn't thought of that.The only thing I've found consistent about Thai immigration at Suvannbhumi is that they never ask for proof of anything before giving you the entry stamp; however on land borders I HAVE been asked for airline tickets, proof of funds etc and last week coming through wonderful Poipet I was actually searched by customs.This was an absolute first for me.I meet people in Phnom Penh who live in Thailand and have to rotate consulates in order to continue to receive tourist visas as apparently they'll only issue 2 from one consulate, for example, PP then you have to go to Vientiane.Anybody know about this?

#9 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 17:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
another thai visa question! ... By psridley7 on 2 Nov 2009 2 1824 5 Nov 2009
New Thai Visa question. ... By Robersovic on 27 Sep 2012 8 2158 2 Oct 2012
Another Thai Visa Question ... By trippymctwist on 5 Jun 2007 2 2400 8 Jun 2007
Thai visa question! ... By Shaneo88 on 6 Sep 2011 1 2064 7 Sep 2011
Thai Visa Run to Laos - New Question ... By spicytraveler on 10 Jan 2011 9 3275 12 Feb 2011
Quick Question-Thai Visa ... By cheeco on 16 Dec 2009 1 2398 4 May 2010
Thai VISA in Phnom Penh - Required documents question ... By kristoffer_zaar on 24 Nov 2010 2 3212 25 Nov 2010