Visas and border crossings forum

Anyone entered Thailand overland recently?

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Yes, another question on Thai visa exemptions...

Has anyone crossed into Thailand overland recently and been given the 15 day exemption?

I am debating my trip right now but it will almost certainly end up with me crossing into Laos from Thailand then back into Thailand.

I called the UK Thai consulate recently (about something else) and they bashed me over the head with how I must have onward travel proof for an exemption if I cross overland (and Air) into Thailand. I did not even mention doing it, I was ringing about a Visa!

Thanks again :)

#1 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 22:04

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I came through Poipet into Thailand from Cambodia on July 5th and no one asked me for any proof whatsoever.They did however, search my bag which was a first in the many years I've been crossing.Hope you get more replies to see what the general consensus is.The only border where I've been asked for proof was Pailin but that was part of a scam to sell non-existent return bus tickets.

#2 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 22:18

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"I must have onward travel proof for an exemption if I cross overland (and Air) into Thailand"

Bollocks. No such proof required crossing from neighbouring country.

The only time this is "required" may be when flying from the UK (or other 1st-world country) to Thailand, when airline staff are instructed to ask for proof of an onward flight OR a Thai visa of some kind. But in your case, no such requirement. Thai Immigration never ask for this.

#3 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 23:11

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Thanks for the responses, I will be getting a Thai visa here in the UK just for the 30 days so that I don't have any trouble with the airline.

I did fly into Thailand from Malaysia in 09 with no issue but things change.

I am just worried about being stuck if I try to cross from Laos into Thailand overland and not be allowed in or something. I have plenty of funds lol just won't have proof of onward travel as I will be leaving Thailand by land too...

eugh [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#4 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 23:17

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"worried about being stuck if I try to cross from Laos into Thailand overland and not be allowed in"

Don't worry, you'll be fine

#5 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 01:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
anyone entered thailand witout an exit flight already booked? ... By peppermintpaddy on 13 Nov 2008 10 3095 15 Nov 2008