Visas and border crossings forum

Will I need a multiple entry visa for Vietnam?

• Peachula

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2011

So, I bought a plane ticket on a whim in June for September and didn't fully think things through when I planned it out, but upon working out my itinerary I'm unsure if I need to get a multiple entry visa or not.
    The situation is that my ticket is into and out of HCMC and I'm ending my trip in Bangkok, so I'll be flying from Bangkok into HCMC then catching my plane home (not leaving the airport). I'll be travelling around all of SEA for 3 months and was hoping to just get a single entry visa into HCMC for 1 month(then Laos, Cambodia, Thailand), but do I need to apply for another visa for Vietnam if I'm just flying in to the airport and leaving within a couple hours?
    It would suck if I have to spend the extra money for only a few hours. Annny information would help me out.

#1 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 09:50

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

I've never actually done this in HCMC so I can't say with complete certainty that you don't need a transit visa, but I'm fairly certain you don't need anything if you're not leaving the airport (or more specifically, if you're not going through the immigration checkpoint). You certainly don't need another tourist visa, and I'm practically certain you don't need a transit visa or anything at all. Go ahead and get the one month single entry tourist visa and you should be fine.

#2 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 11:43

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Whether you need a transit visa or not depends on your nationality and the length of your layover. Many countries do not require a transit visa but you are usually required to show proof of onward travel.

You can check here to see what visa requirements you may need.
    http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/home.htm

#3 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 14:08

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    I think it will depend upon how you transfer from one flight to the next. If your carrier from BKK to HCMC is a point to point (meaning that your luggage is not transfered to your onward flight and you have to collect your luggage and then check in again), then you will almost certainly need a transit visa.
    Luggage reclaim and check in are the other side of immigration, so in that case you are entering the country, however briefly.
    So, check with your airline to see if you luggage can be transfer to you onward flight at BBK check in, if so you are simply an internal transfer, if not it looks like a visa would be necessary.
    Mike

#4 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 16:47

• alshda

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2011

Hi all

I emailed the Vietnamese Embassy in London about this issue, as I am looking to arrive back in Hanoi via Air Asia after my original visa has expired, in order to catch a Southern China Airlines flight on elsewhere.

The embassy has told me: "If you just enter Vietnam for transit flight and staying at the aiport then you are not required for visa"

That is all they have said, so I have replied asking for clarification regarding using different airlines and how long I can spend in the airport between flights.
    Edit this post

#5 Posted: 6/9/2011 - 16:46

• herbcorella

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2011

No, you are transiting through VN , you have confrimed tickets (in and out) and if you depart on the (calender) day you arrived, no visa required.

#6 Posted: 13/11/2011 - 02:29

• herbcorella

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2011

No, you are transiting through VN , you have confrimed tickets (in and out) and if you depart on the (calender) day you arrived, no visa required.

#7 Posted: 13/11/2011 - 02:29

• herbcorella

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2011

#8 Posted: 13/11/2011 - 02:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam Visa: Turning a Single Entry Into A Multiple Entry ... By ajay on 5 Aug 2009 1 5230 5 Aug 2009
Multiple Entry Visa to Vietnam ... By cesmonde on 20 Oct 2008 0 2620 20 Oct 2008
Vietnam - Single Trip/Multiple Entry Visa ... By elainehodnett on 1 Jun 2007 1 3095 1 Jun 2007
Multiple vs. single entry visa for Vietnam/Cambodia ... By rohnin on 14 Oct 2008 1 4803 15 Oct 2008
Multiple Entry Visa Question (Re-Entry) ... By mrbump on 24 Jan 2012 3 2577 25 Jan 2012
Would I need to get a Multiple Entry Visa? ... By JamesMurley on 9 Dec 2007 2 2769 9 Dec 2007
180 day visa multiple entry ... By bradmcfc81 on 7 Jul 2009 5 2569 9 Jul 2009
Multiple Entry Visa ... By Asheai on 4 Apr 2009 1 6063 4 Apr 2009
Multiple Entry Thailand Visa?? ... By pilki03 on 12 Sep 2012 4 2105 18 Sep 2012
Multiple Entry Visa for Thailand ... By sevi87 on 20 Jul 2009 7 6521 27 Jul 2009