Visas and border crossings forum

Don't shoot me....!

• le1979

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2011

..... it's ANOTHER Thai visa question. In my defence I'm in India on a dodgy connection which could go anytime.....
    We are travelling across India to Calcutta and from there we want to fly into Hanoi . All the flights go via bangkok. I'm going to be meeting my sister in bkk on the 17th November and was planning on flying in to get 30 day visa. If we got a flight from Calcutta to Hanoi via bangkok would it mean I won't be able to get the 30 visa when I meet my sister? Or can I get a transit visa on arrival from Calcutta? Won't be leaving bkk airport then.
    Thanks so much i really appreciate it

#1 Posted: 23/8/2011 - 20:53

• Advertisement

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

All the info can be found here http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/172_visa-and-border-crossing-news---please-read-this-before-postting-
    But as I know internet in India can be very unreliable and painfully slow, in the good spirit of benefit of the doubt .... if you remain in transit at Bangkok no visa is required (transit or otherwise). If you pass through immigration you will get stamped in to the country for 30 days even if only staying a few hours. You will also still get stamped in again for a further 30 days when you fly back into Bangkok on 17 November. This is providing you hold a passport for one of the 40 countries mentioned in the above link.

#2 Posted: 24/8/2011 - 03:49

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It depends entirely on which airline/s you're flying Kolkata-Bangkok- Hanoi . If it is a "connecting" flight i.e. you're checked straight through to Hanoi and remain "airside" at Bangkok airport you don't need any visa (or the "visa-exemption" you are refering to) as you don't actually go through immigration/customs and remain in the transit area only between flights. If it's a point-to-point carrier like Air Asia, however, it is NOT connecting and up to you to clear immigration and customs before checking in for the onward flight.

#3 Posted: 24/8/2011 - 17:14

• le1979

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2011

Great thanks guys. I tried reading thru it all three times and kept losing connection :) It looks like the flights all say connect in airort so I think I just hang around in transit therefore no visa. Really appreciate your help xxx

#4 Posted: 24/8/2011 - 21:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.