Visas and border crossings forum

Pre-organising Visa's

• drutherford

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2007

Hi

We're going to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam all by bus/train (apart from initial entry into Bangkok airport).

I have read alot of threads about getting visa's at border crossings but I was wondering whether it is worth trying to pre-organise these visa's before we leave from our trip from the embassy's in Australia just for peace of mind.

Also, we are planning on arriving in Thailand and spening about 2-3 weeks up North before travelling through the other countries, but then we want to return to Thailand for a further 4 weeks. Is this possible? I heard you can only get a 30 day visa.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Debbie

#1 Posted: 5/2/2007 - 09:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Debbie,

The main disadvantage of arranging visas in advance in Australia is cost. The visa for Vietnam for example from the Vietnamese Consul in Sydney costs A$70. The same visa in Cambodia costs around US$30.

If you're not to fussed about cost, then it can be useful having them in advance, but personally, I wouldn't bother.

With Thailand (I'm assuming you're on Oz passports), you're granted a 30 day stay ON EACH entry. So in your case you'll be fine (in Thailand for 2-3 weeks, then out then back for another month). Unless you're planning on staying more than 30 days on a single stay, you do not need to get a visa in advance.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 5/2/2007 - 12:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.