Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Border crossings over Christmas

Posted by onefatmonkey on 1/10/2011 at 05:14

Hiya

I was wondering whether border crossings are open over Christmas (and indeed what is / isn't generally open in SE Asia around Christmas - say 23 December to 27 December)? Do things continue pretty much as normal or do things shut down for a few days?

I'm probably going to be around the border of Laos / Thailand over Christmas and will need to do a border run to renew my Visa / Visa waiver at some point.

Also kinda of related... what is transport like on a Sunday in SE Asia (in particular Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)? Do buses / trains as normal, with a reduced schedule or is it seen as a rest day for many people and difficult to move from one location to another?

Thanks everyone!

#1 onefatmonkey has been a member since 11/7/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by Captain_Bob on 1/10/2011 at 19:34

Sundays and Christmas don't mean much in SE Asia. Banks and government offices close on weekends but buses and borders are open for business as usual every day.

Thai national holidays are listed on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_Thailand

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,872

Posted by onefatmonkey on 1/10/2011 at 21:19

Brill. Thanks for the info Captain_Bob!

#3 onefatmonkey has been a member since 11/7/2011. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.