Visas and border crossings forum

Flying to Vietnam (Sigon) then departure from Bangkok 4 months later, possible???

• kitingdownu-
    nder

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2011

Hi,

Could someone please give us some advice here. We have a one way flight from Australia going to Vietnam on the 5 December. Planning on travelling around Vietnam, across to Cambodia, Laos and then Thailand, all up we will be staying for 4 -5 months doing some boardercrossing. We have booked our flight to Europe on the 4 April - leaving from Bangkok. I will soon apply for the 90 day muliple country visa online.

My query is now;

since we are arriving into Vietnam on a one way flight, departure from Thailand (Bangkok) but our departure flight is later then 90 days, will Vietnam allow us in on a 90 day visa, I mean the aim is to leave Vietnam and Cambodia before the 90 days are up anyway, allthough this may not be a help to us?? Do we have to book a cheaper flight between the countries in order to proof our departure??
    I dont really want to fly between Vietnam-Thailand, we would like to see as much as possible via land.

Appreciate any feedback given - Many Thanks in advance.
    M

#1 Posted: 8/10/2011 - 16:46

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Since you will already have a Vietnam visa in advance there is no problem entering regardless of onward travel documents. Just leave on or before the exit date as stated on the visa.

"90 day muliple country visa"
    I don't think this exists. You have to get a seperate visa for each country, and each entry is usually 30 days (Vietnam visa in advance, Laos and Cambodian visas on arrival). Note that without a pre-arranged Thai visa (can get in Vientiane or Phnom Penh) you only get a 15-day visa waiver entering by land (30 by air).

#2 Posted: 9/10/2011 - 16:46

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Agree with Captain_Bob's point on not needing to show onward travel to get your Vietnam visa. You can get a 3 month visa in advance for Vietnam though. Or you certainly could 6 weeks ago when I did it.

There was talk of a multiple entry visa but I'm not sure it's set up yet.

#3 Posted: 9/10/2011 - 21:45

• kitingdownu-
    nder

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2011

Thanks both! Appreciate your replies. I will apply for both Vietnam and Thai visas in advance and see what happends. From what I understand you just need to stock up on passport photos in advance, for possible visa extensions and when crossing into Cambodia from Vietnam?

cheers

#4 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 15:20

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Yeah, you'll need a photo for the visa on arrival into Cambodia. Although we got away without - I think they just photocopied our passport photo. Best to take one though, just in case.

#5 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 16:49

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

And you don't need them for extensions - or didn't last time I tried.

#6 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 16:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.