• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 200

Some up to date information on getting a visa for China in Thailand as I just dropped off my passport at the Chinese embassy in Chiang Mai. The process was pretty straightforward although the application form required a bit more detail than it did last year when I applied here. The visa section is open Monday to Friday (except public holidays) 9am to 11.30am for applications and collections. According to the girl working there procedure and costs etc are the same as if you apply in Bangkok.

All you need to have is your passport and 1 photo - the form asks for your proposed entry date but no flight details or tickets were required. It also asks if you have medical insurance and if yes, the company name and policy number so you may want to make a note of those details if you don't always carry them with you. A section also asked for details of accommodation - name, address and phone number. I just filled in 1 guesthouse and left the others blank and it wasn't queried - again if you haven't booked anything just have a name and address of a guesthouse handy. The other questions on the 5 page form were fairly straightfoward with additional details required if you're applying for a study visa.

A single entry is valid for a stay of 30 days for entry within 3 months of the visa issue date and a double entry allows two 30 day stays within a 6 month period from visa issue.

The standard processing time is 4 working days (ie I dropped off today, Friday and can collect on Wednesday) and the cost for a single entry is THB1100 for single entry and THB1650 double entry; Express service takes 2-3 working days and is THB1900 for a single and THB2450 for double and if you're in a rush a same day service is available at THB2300 for single entry and THB2850 double. Those prices seemed to be applicable to all nationalities barr Thai and US citizens. If you're American fees are a steep THB4560 standard service, THB5460 express and THB5760 same day regardless of whether it's a single or double entry visa.

#1 Posted: 14/10/2011 - 15:42

• Advertisement

• phishsticks

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2011

I'm planning on traveling to China after a SE Asia stint. I'm currently in Korea teaching English but can't get a Chinese Visa here because I have less than 6 months left on my Korean Working Visa. (This a rule that the Chinese embassy in Korea made). Once my Korean visa is finished and I am traveling in Thailand will I be able to get a Chinese Visa? Will there be some obstacles because I previously held a Korean Working Visa? Does anybody, have any info for me? or has anyone attempted to get a Chinese Visa in Thailand after finishing their teaching contract in Korea?

Much thanks ahead of time for any help.

Jason

#2 Posted: 14/10/2011 - 19:49

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Visa fees list as displayed at the Chinese consulate in Chiang Mai. As noted above same fees should apply in Bangkok.

#3 Posted: 15/10/2011 - 12:41

• KirstyB

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 200

Yeah, that's where I copied my figures down from so it looks like the costs for US citizens may have increased. Unless I had a dippy 5 minutes! :-) I'll double check when I pick up on Wednesday ........

#4 Posted: 15/10/2011 - 16:32

• KirstyB

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 200

I didn't have a dippy 5 minutes, which is good to know. Looks like fees for US citizens have increased as per my original post - regular (4 working days) = thb4560, express = thb5360 and rush = thb5760.

I did take a photo of the fees but I don't know how to post it - happy to do so if anyone can enlighten me!

Generally though, a straightforward process with helpful and friendly staff.

#5 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 09:26

• KirstyB

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 200

Posted from within Vietnam.

An update ..... and a useful reminder that you should always check for up to date visa requirements.

First up, I recently obtained a Chinese visa in Bangkok and having previously got one at the Chiang Mai consulate on two occasions, comparing the 2 experiences next time I would almost choose to travel to Chiang Mai just to get it. OK, slight exaggeration but my point is, if you plan to spend time in both places and have the option to apply in CM that would be my recommendation. The application process took less than half an hour in Chiang Mai compared to 3½ in Bangkok. The prices and processing times are the same in both embassies/consulate (no change to the prices mentioned in my original post).

However the big change, and the point to my ramblings is that the Chinese seem to have tightened up on their requirements which now specify the need for copies of return air tickets and hotel confirmations. There didn't seem to be a huge amount of scope for relaxing the requirements and having heard this was the case I went along to the embassy with a bit of creative paperwork in hand. I did only have a hostel confirmation for the first 2 nights and after explaining and writing down my route this was accepted (along with my explanation of why on earth I could possibly need a double entry visa). There were several other applicants getting extremely frustrated, which of course didn't cut themselves any slack, and probably didn't get themselves a visa that day either. Sure I wanted to stand there and protest "so, you're not allowing independent travellers and backpackers in any more then?" but you gotta play the game with these guys.

Apparently (of course) there are travel agents in Bangkok who will provide the necessary documentation at a rather high fee but with a bit of imagination it's easy to knock something up yourself. From my experience and observations you could probably get away without a return ticket if you say you're travelling overland but do your homework and write down your route and border crossing points. If you're vague you're more likely to be asked for supporting documentation.

I don't know if this is a permanent change to the rules or just a tightening up around the anniversary of the Tibetan riots but if it's here to stay a bit more planning will be required before applying for your visa.

#6 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 18:17

• KirstyB

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 200

Posted from within Vietnam.

Strangely it says I am posting from Vietnam when I am in Bangkok!

#7 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 18:19

• anyatash37

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2013

As a USA resident applying for a Chinese visa from Thailand I found the website instructions confusing and incomplete. I watched numerous people get turned away for missing documents. I hope this list helps someone.
    I arrived at 8:50, received number 99 in queue and was seen at approximately 11:00
    Bring a pen; they were in very short supply
    Glue is provided on back counter to adhere passport photo to visa application
    o 2 copies - Visa Application Form (ideally, filled out ahead of time)
    o 2 passport photos must be attached prior to going up to the window
    o 2 copies - Supplementary Visa Application Form (ideally,filled out ahead of time)
    o 2 copies passports primary page
    o 2 copies Thai Visa
    o 1 copy - Bank Book page with your name and account number
    o 1 copy Bank Statement (I used photocopy of final page of bank book w/ 20+ transactions)
    o 1 letter from employer citing position (essentially confirming employment)
    o 1 copy ROUND TRIP Airline tickets
    o 1 copy hotel confirmation

#8 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 02:26

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

My god, sounded so easy in Kirsty's first post! Thanks for the update. Sounds like there was a long queue. Were you applying for the visa in Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

So if you don't have a bank book (they're practically obsolete where I live) or an employer that means you can't visit China any more? What about the self-employed, students, retired people, people taking a year out?

#9 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 15:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chinese Visa from Thailand or Vietnam? ... By HnS on 14 Mar 2010 0 2087 14 Mar 2010