Visas and border crossings forum

Vietnam to Laos, Laos to Cambodia, Visa on arrival?

• Gorgonzola

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011

Hey there world travelers,

In just a few days I will be making my way to SEA for a 2 month trip through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Being that I am flying into HCMC, the Vietnamese visa was easy to figure out. This being said, I've done hours upon hours of forum searching and internet perusing and still the visa info for Laos and Cambodia remains a slight enigma. The reason for this is that I had to go and make things complicated by wanting to cross into Laos by way of the Tay Trang/Sop Hun border with Vietnam and then continue into Cambodia by way of the Veun Kham/Dom Kralor border. Finally, I plan to cross back into Vietnam and return to HCMC for my flight home.

Thus, my questions are about the visa requirements at these border crossings. From numerous sources online, it seems that both the Tay Trang/Sop Hun border crossing and the Veun Kham/Dom Kralor border crossing offer a "visa on arrival" service. This being said, I've also seen numerous posts making comment of the supposed service that previous arrangements must still be made in order for it to actually work. Namely, my question being for both borders and the supposed service is if I were to have the application form filled out, the correct number of passport photos, my passport itself, and the visa fee (including the nicely corrupt "stamping fee"), will I be able to arrive at these border crossings and receive a visa without too much delay or discussion on the matter?

My next question, which also pertains to said borders, is of the inconsistent information about whether the border officials will need "proof of departure" in order to receive my visa. I've seen a number of sites claim that this "proof", whether it is a copy of my itinerary or a bus ticket for my departure from Laos, will be required at the border for one's visa. Now this is where things could get rather annoying for me, seeing as I really won't have an itinerary of any kind and certainly won't have a bus ticket of that kind (I mean I don't even know when I'll be entering or exiting the country). Everything for me is really quite tentative, thus the predicament.

Lastly, I know there is the possibility of getting these visas in Hanoi at the Laos embassy and Cambodia embassy. Any info on this option would be greatly appreciated as well.

So there it is, sorry for the long post guys, hopefully I made everything clear.

Cheers,
    Gorgonzola

#1 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 02:16

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cambodia to Laos visa on arrival?? ... By Clare1993 on 7 Jul 2012 3 3453 13 Jul 2012
on arrival visa cambodia-laos? ... By pippeline on 20 May 2010 0 2109 20 May 2010
Laos visa on arrival update ... By eggewaertslamp on 30 May 2009 2 6498 2 Jun 2009
Applying for Laos visa in Hanoi or on arrival? ... By gorkreg on 27 Dec 2011 5 1779 14 Jan 2012
Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam VISA HELP ... By dazg21 on 28 Oct 2010 4 5619 29 Oct 2010
Visa help for Thailand Laos Cambodia and vietnam ... By erikmaez on 29 Nov 2009 2 2263 5 Dec 2009
HELP! Laos visa on arrival DBP - Muang Khau (Tay Trang/Sop Hun) border ... By smellel on 15 Apr 2010 4 4505 16 Apr 2010
Quick advice needed: Visa on arrival, Laos to China ... By Lamar on 5 Mar 2008 13 8711 18 Oct 2012
Visas On-Arrival at Laos/Cambodia Border!? ... By cheeco on 9 Dec 2009 3 2708 18 Feb 2010
Visa to LAO, CAMBODIA, VIETNAM - on arrival or from the consulate ? ... By air420 on 2 Dec 2014 4 420 3 Dec 2014