Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Chiang Mai to Laos

Posted by Gilbert87 on 18/11/2011 at 00:40

Hi,

So sorry, I been reading a lot on travel fish about this but the more i read.. the more confusing it gets. I am from Singapore. I will be in Chiang mai from 30 nov to 3 jan. I understand i only have a 30 days visa free entry and i will need to renew it in order to stay for another 3 days. I know most people travel to laos to get a renewal. I read a lot on the tours packages there and most of them seem to only offer one way trip there.

a few questions:
1) What is the best and safest way of crossing the boarder to get there back within 3 to 4 days? How can i go about this? Any advise please?
2) Do i really have to cross the border? can i just renew it at some immigration office in Chiang mai?

Thanks! Appreciate all the replies!

#1 Gilbert87 has been a member since 18/11/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 18/11/2011 at 20:21

"I know most people travel to laos to get a renewal"
No, most people go to the Myanmar (Mae Sai / Tachilek) border north of Chiang Mai . You can do this as a day trip from CM by minivan or public bus on any given day. Ask your guesthouse or a travel agent when you're here. Cost of transport around 600b plus 500b (or $USD10) at the border.

"Do i really have to cross the border? can i just renew it at some immigration office in Chiang mai?"
Crossing the border and back gets you a new visa exemption of 15 days, or you can extend the current visa exemption by 7 days at Immigration (near the Chiang Mai airport) but this costs 1900 baht. Since you only need a few extra days it's a matter of choice which way you do it - cost vs. time.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.