Visas and border crossings forum

Chiang Mai to Laos

• Gilbert87

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2011

Hi,

So sorry, I been reading a lot on travel fish about this but the more i read.. the more confusing it gets. I am from Singapore. I will be in Chiang mai from 30 nov to 3 jan. I understand i only have a 30 days visa free entry and i will need to renew it in order to stay for another 3 days. I know most people travel to laos to get a renewal. I read a lot on the tours packages there and most of them seem to only offer one way trip there.

a few questions:
    1) What is the best and safest way of crossing the boarder to get there back within 3 to 4 days? How can i go about this? Any advise please?
    2) Do i really have to cross the border? can i just renew it at some immigration office in Chiang mai?

Thanks! Appreciate all the replies!

#1 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 00:40

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"I know most people travel to laos to get a renewal"
    No, most people go to the Myanmar (Mae Sai / Tachilek) border north of Chiang Mai . You can do this as a day trip from CM by minivan or public bus on any given day. Ask your guesthouse or a travel agent when you're here. Cost of transport around 600b plus 500b (or $USD10) at the border.

"Do i really have to cross the border? can i just renew it at some immigration office in Chiang mai?"
    Crossing the border and back gets you a new visa exemption of 15 days, or you can extend the current visa exemption by 7 days at Immigration (near the Chiang Mai airport) but this costs 1900 baht. Since you only need a few extra days it's a matter of choice which way you do it - cost vs. time.

#2 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 20:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.