Visas and border crossings forum

Bangkok - Laos

• bonerjams69

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2006

Hey,

I am looking for information regarding crossing the border from Thailand to Laos....suggestions if we want to cross from Eastern Thailand in to Southern Laos.

Also has anyone taken a bus from Bangkok to Laos - if so any details/recommendations/warnings are welcome!

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 19/2/2007 - 17:02

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi bonerjams69,

have you taken a look at the Visa and border crossing FAQ? All the international crossings between Thailand and Laos are covered in there.

#2 Posted: 20/2/2007 - 06:43

• bonerjams69

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2006

Thanks !!! - I had looked at this before but wanted to see if anyone had any extra info in regards to the actual travel from Bangkok to Nakhon Phanom / Tha Khaek or Mukdahan / Savannakhet.

I.E. What is the cost and how long does it take?

Any info would be great as we plan to make this journey Monday!

Thanks!

#3 Posted: 20/2/2007 - 19:36

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

From Bangkok the best way to either crossing is overnight bus from Bangkok -- buses to both leave from Bangkok's northern bus terminal (morchit) -- not sure of the fare off the top of my head -- would guess under 500B, though could be wrong.

Once you're at the crossing, they're both super straight forward, but if you've got a little time on your hands, I'd suggest the following:

Get a night bus from Bangkok to Nakhon Phanom, where you'll arrive the following morning. Then get a bus south (that's right, you're staying in Thailand another night!) to That Phanom -- one of my all-time favourite places in Thailand and stay at Niyana's Guesthouse -- Niyana opened the first ever guesthouse in Nong Khai and moved to That Phanom when it "got too busy" -- That Phanom is very quiet, there's just a handful of things to do -- bicycle ride to Renu Nakhon, gazing across the river etc etc, and just hang out at the guesthouse. When you're all done, north back to Nakhon Phanom and cross to Tha Khaek.

Otherwise, if you're in a rush to laos take either crossing -- little to differentiate the two -- if you're heading north then take Tha Khaek, south, Savannakhet.

#4 Posted: 20/2/2007 - 19:50

• bonerjams69

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2006

Awesome that is GREAT! We can not wait to start this trip...leaving Saturday morning from Germany then off to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia, at this rate maybe we will stay and not come back :)

#5 Posted: 20/2/2007 - 20:41

• cimn02

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2007

whats the best/cheapest airline to fly from Bangkok to Laos??

#6 Posted: 5/12/2007 - 10:48

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

From Bangkok to Udon Thani with AirAsia is the cheapest (then overland from udon to Laos. Otherwise, look into Bangkok Airways -- depends on where in laos you are heading as well.

#7 Posted: 5/12/2007 - 15:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.