Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

thai tourist visa in penang

Posted by ambersaffron on 22/11/2011 at 11:37

I apologize if this is a question that has been asked before. I am planning to fly from the US to BKK in dec and stay in Thailand for a month on the "free visa" and then take the train down to Penang and apply for a thai tourist visa for two months . I don't have an air ticket out of Thailand as I'm planning to take the train to Cambodia. Does this seem like a feasible plan?
Thanks!

#1 ambersaffron has been a member since 14/6/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by tyler on 22/11/2011 at 13:19

Yes, it is easy. I doubt you'll be asked about a flight. If your guesthouse does the picking up and dropping off at immigration for you - then you certainly won't be asked!

#2 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 24/11/2011 at 12:07

Your main hurdle is boarding the flight out of the USA. Airline check-in staff will probably require either a flight ticket out of Thailand within 30 days OR a Thai tourist visa obtained from a Thai embassy/consulate in advance.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by guava_girl on 5/12/2011 at 20:27

Agree with Captian Bob. If you don't have an onward ticket you will not be able to board in the US. Best to get a 60 day tourist visa in the US before arrival. Then if you need an addition 30 days you can get an extension at any immigration office once in Thailand.

#4 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.