Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Thai Visa

Posted by jbolger on 20/2/2007 at 23:02

Hi,

Just a quick question on Thai Visa's.

Will be flying to Thailand mid April from Republic of Ireland and
staying in Bangkok for 5 nights before getting a flight to Vietnam
where we will be staying for a couple of weeks. (Have already applied for Vietnam Visa)
The plan is to then head back to Thailand for another couple of weeks (down in the islands)
before moving onto Malaysia.

The question i have is :
Do we (2 persons) need to get a visa beforehand as we will be entering Thailand twice and for more
than 30 days from the original date of entry (Although each entry shall be for less than 30 days)
or will we be issued a fresh Tourist Visa on re-entry into Thailand?

Looking at their website, it does talk about re-entry:

" Please note that Tourist Visa Exemption does not apply to foreigners holding Travel
Document for Aliens issued by these 40 countries."

So is this to say that we wont be issued with a fresh 30 day Toursit Visa when we go to
re enter from Vietnam?

I know that they have stopped the border runs so does this mean that i shall have to
apply for a multy entry visa before i leave?

Apologies if im not very clear in what im trying to say!!

Thanks very much,
John

#1 jbolger has been a member since 2/10/2006. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/2/2007 at 05:57 admin

Welcome to Travelfish John,

That's a pretty long quick question!

The list on the MFA website lists the nationalities that ARE eligible for a tourist visa exemption -- I know it says:
"Please note that Tourist Visa Exemption does not apply to foreigners holding Travel Document for Aliens issued by these 40 countries."

But what I think they mean is that the list of countries IS able to get the tourist visa extension.

So, being Irish and thus on the list, you're eligible for a free 30-day stay in Thailand upon arrival and again when you return from Vietnam, so you DON'T need to get a visa in advance.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by jbolger on 21/2/2007 at 19:06

Ha, yeah true enough. "Just a quick question" was hardly accurate!
Thanks very much for the response though.

John

#3 jbolger has been a member since 2/10/2006. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.