• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 215

Some up to date information on my recent experience ….....

Getting to the Embassy
    The embassy is located about 7/8 kilometres from the centre (in the direction of the Friendship Bridge). If you take a tuk tuk, make sure the driver knows where he's going! A tuk tuk will charge up to 80,000 kip for a round trip and with hard bargaining 50,000 kip. Remember you'll need to do that twice – once to drop off and once to collect. Alternatively you can rent a bike for 10,000 kip and cycle there easily (20 minutes) – head along the main road and when you reach the Indian Embassy on the left hand side turn left (if you get as far as the Singapore Embassy you've gone too far) and the Myanmar Embassy is just a bit furtherup. Another option would be a bus – get off at the Indian Embassy and walk from there. Money saving tip: if there are 2 of you, you both need to go to submit the application but only 1 needs to go and collect it; meaning if you cycle total transport cost will be 30,000kip.

Cost
    20 US dollars – only US$ acceptable, not kip.

Processing Time
    4 working days ie apply on a Monday morning, collect on Thursday afternoon. Express service is not available (officially).

Opening Times
    Hours are 9am to noon and 1pm to 4pm (I think). Definitely 9am open but don't quote me on the 4pm close. As usual check for public holidays.

Requirements
    In addition to the fee you will need to complete a fairly short form, twice over. Three identical passport photo's are required although they will return one when you pick up your visa. IMPORTANT – they are really strict on the background colour of the photos and they MUST be white. I had 2 different sets of options and both were rejected even though one had only a slightly off white background and the other a very pale grey one. If yours are rejected you'll have to go to the photoshop just across the street and pay 30,000 kip for 6 photos (although I did manage to bargain this down to 25,000). You don't get a receipt slip which is slightly disconcerting but I assume they don't get a sufficient number of applications to consider this necessary!

Validity
    Our visas are valid for entry within 3 months of the issue date for the normal 28 day stay.

Overall Vientiane was a straight forward place to obtain visas; it took a bit of time but I think that was probably because the guy processing our application didn't have much to do – he sat with us on the sofa whilst we filled in the form, took it away, brought it back for us to stick on our photos, took it away again and came back to collect the money and we had a little chat too. In the time we were there we were the only ones submitting an application and one other couple turned up to collect. This does beg the question why they need 4 working days but ….........

#1 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 05:51

• Advertisement

• willclarke

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2012

Thanks for this info!

#2 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 17:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Burma/Myanmar ... By JoHe59 on 17 Jan 2008 1 5453 18 Jan 2008
Do you do Myanmar/Burma? ... By alisonmilliken on 29 Mar 2007 9 8984 6 Aug 2011
Travelfish on Burma (Myanmar) ... By somtam2000 on 17 Oct 2008 12 22316 12 Aug 2014
5 days in Burma/Myanmar ... By kanda on 7 Jan 2014 1 899 11 Feb 2014
Photography in Burma/Myanmar ... By 9preciousGems on 28 Apr 2011 8 6823 23 Mar 2012
Burma / Myanmar or Laos ? ... By adapshine on 6 Jan 2013 9 6484 4 Apr 2013
burma / myanmar air travel within and out ... By ilikrshortsongs on 3 Dec 2009 8 5995 6 Aug 2011
burma / myanmar - March, anyone? ... By majkel on 9 Feb 2012 1 1742 12 Feb 2012
internet in burma (myanmar) ... By sarahandclau on 20 Dec 2006 7 7223 6 Aug 2011
Christmas Trip to Burma/Myanmar ... By JacqualineCheng on 12 Oct 2013 1 805 13 Nov 2013