Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Tay Trang - Visa on arrival for Korean passport?

Posted by Autarkes on 17/1/2012 at 21:53

In a few months, I'll be traveling through both Vietnam and Laos. I am fairly sure that I will be using the Tay Trang border crossing to go from Vietnam to Laos.

I have an American passport and plan on getting a visa on arrival at the border. However, my travel buddy is Korean. Are Laotian visas on arrival available for South Korean passport holders at Tay Trang? Or any other border crossing for that matter? Or is it necessary to get a visa from the embassy in advance?

Many thanks,

Autarkes

#1 Autarkes has been a member since 17/1/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by Autarkes on 25/1/2012 at 22:56

Any advice, folks?

Thanks,

Autarkes

#2 Autarkes has been a member since 17/1/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by eastwest on 25/1/2012 at 23:50

As far as I know there aren't any users from Korea here on this forum. That would explain the silence. Probably best to get that visa in Hanoi but I have no idea how long it would take.

Good luck

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by Autarkes on 26/1/2012 at 04:25

Laos and South Korea are ASEAN partners, so I would expect that there'd be VOA, but you never know. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Autarkes

#4 Autarkes has been a member since 17/1/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by Autarkes on 6/2/2012 at 06:10

Actually, I should have asked this in the initial message . . .

Can U.S. passport holders get a Laotian visa on arrival at Tay Trang? I had assumed yes, but you never know.

Thanks,

Autarkes

#5 Autarkes has been a member since 17/1/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by eastwest on 6/2/2012 at 06:55

I did a bit of googling and it seems that both of you should be able to get VOA. Not the most recent info but it seems reliable enough.

Seems that they have only a short list (20 or so) of nationalities that can't get VOA and that contains the usual suspects.

#6 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by Autarkes on 7/2/2012 at 01:11

I ended up contacting the U.S. consulate and they confirmed with the Lao authorities that VOA is indeed available for U.S. citizens at Tay Trang. So, good news.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Autarkes

#7 Autarkes has been a member since 17/1/2012. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.