Visas and border crossings forum

Tay Trang - Visa on arrival for Korean passport?

• Autarkes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2012

In a few months, I'll be traveling through both Vietnam and Laos. I am fairly sure that I will be using the Tay Trang border crossing to go from Vietnam to Laos.

I have an American passport and plan on getting a visa on arrival at the border. However, my travel buddy is Korean. Are Laotian visas on arrival available for South Korean passport holders at Tay Trang? Or any other border crossing for that matter? Or is it necessary to get a visa from the embassy in advance?

Many thanks,

Autarkes

#1 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 21:53

• Advertisement

• Autarkes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2012

Any advice, folks?

Thanks,

Autarkes

#2 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 22:56

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

As far as I know there aren't any users from Korea here on this forum. That would explain the silence. Probably best to get that visa in Hanoi but I have no idea how long it would take.

Good luck

#3 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 23:50

• Autarkes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2012

Laos and South Korea are ASEAN partners, so I would expect that there'd be VOA, but you never know. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Autarkes

#4 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 04:25

• Autarkes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2012

Actually, I should have asked this in the initial message . . .

Can U.S. passport holders get a Laotian visa on arrival at Tay Trang? I had assumed yes, but you never know.

Thanks,

Autarkes

#5 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 06:10

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I did a bit of googling and it seems that both of you should be able to get VOA. Not the most recent info but it seems reliable enough.

Seems that they have only a short list (20 or so) of nationalities that can't get VOA and that contains the usual suspects.

#6 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 06:55

• Autarkes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2012

I ended up contacting the U.S. consulate and they confirmed with the Lao authorities that VOA is indeed available for U.S. citizens at Tay Trang. So, good news.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Autarkes

#7 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 01:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
HELP! Laos visa on arrival DBP - Muang Khau (Tay Trang/Sop Hun) border ... By smellel on 15 Apr 2010 4 4337 16 Apr 2010
Urgent advice plz. Visa on arrival at Tay Trang Viet/Laos border? ... By johnkitchener on 29 Nov 2010 4 2725 30 Nov 2010
Vietnam Visa on arrival for Indian passport holders ... By jayanraj on 10 Nov 2009 2 7760 10 Nov 2009