Visas and border crossings forum

Re entering thailand and any potential problems on arrival

• ryanward789

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2012

Hi this maybe a very common question but i cant seem to find anything;

In a summary I will be flying from London (I am a UK citizen) in to Bangkok on 13th Feb, heading to Laos, then to Cambodia, then to Vietnam. From Vietnam we hope to catch a flight back to Thailand and finish off our travels in the south, head back to bangkok and fly home 4 months after we first intially arrived on the 6th Feb.

I have gathered that by re-entering Thailand by air from Vietnam I can then get a further 30 day visa/stamp. But i have been reading that there may be a problem when I first initially land on the 13th Feb as my return flight home isn't for another 4 months and the initial visa/stamp will only be valid for 30 days.

I would really appreciate it if any one could shed some light on the matter. Is it fine my return flights are 3 months after the original visa expires? if not what will happen? or anything you would like to add would be a great help.

#1 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 18:45

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've never had immigration check my return tickets, I think it is just a formality that exists on paper in case they want to use it.

#2 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 20:24

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

You are more likely to have problems with the airline. The airlines are required to check that your travel papers are in order before allowing you to board.

Please check with your airline and explain that you plan to travel around the region. Check if the airline will require you to show a visa or an outbound-ticket within the prescribed period.

#3 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 23:02

• ryanward789

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2012

thanks for your help :D

#4 Posted: 12/2/2012 - 10:39

• pinlee

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2012

Thailand tourist visa are granted to UK citizen automatically. In another words, it is visa-free to enter Thailand. In this case, airlines cruise will not bother to check your return air ticket because it is understood that you are able to do visa run legally.

#5 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 05:32

• jordan88

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

I am going to land in Bangkok for 4 days, and then head to Laos for 2 weeks returning to Bangkok for 2 months, I am buying a tourist visa I was wondering if I could use my tourist Visa when re entering from laos so I get my full 90 days intead of the 15 days I would get.
    Also we wanted to go to vietnam for 3 weeks, from thailand probably by boat, and we would like to come back to thailand by boat. and stay for longer than 15 days would we have to buy yet another tourist visa to stay longer than that or would my 90 days still be in effect?
    Is there anyway to make these plans work?

#6 Posted: 25/2/2012 - 12:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
No problems with Vietnam Visa on Arrival ... By DLuek on 17 Feb 2009 4 8572 3 Jul 2010
Problems entering vietnam without a return ticket out of vietnam? ... By Matty161 on 19 Aug 2013 6 1901 29 Aug 2013
Quick Question: Do you get a full page visa upon entering Vietnam (Visa on Arrival in AP) ... By Sethlake on 22 Dec 2010 3 3969 6 Jun 2011