Visas and border crossings forum

Various Border Crossings & 60 Day Thai Visa

• StephJayne1-

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2011

Me and a friend are planning on travelling SE Asia for around 5 months, we have a rough plan in place atm, but wanted to double check that we weren't going to come unstuck en route when it comes to visas.

So far our plan is to fly into Bangkok, getting a 30day visa on arrival and stay in that area for a week or so, then heading to Cambodia via land (If anyone has a rough idea on cost/time this would also be helpful. From there we'll be spending a month in Cambodia (visa on arrival again), during which time we plan on obtaining a 30day visa for Vietnam. From Cambodia we'll head to Vietnam, again by land (again cost/time would be helpful). A month in Vietnam then onto Laos (visa on arrival). We were then hoping to be able to pick up a 60 day visa (possibly double entry) for Thailand somewhere in Laos which we can hopefully activate at a border in the north of Thailand.

Does anybody forsee any problems with our plans so far? And are there specific places (i.e. Laos and Cambodia) where we need to pick up the visas, and how long does processing take? Also, if we can't get the 60day thai visa whilst in Asia, how do we go about getting one from home?

We're not going to have any onward flights booked, but after looking through the forums on here that doens't seem to be a huge worry, as long as we have a printed interary and docs showing our intentions to leave.

Note: I'm a UK citizen and my friend is Canadian.

#1 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 07:55

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

Looks like you've got your bases pretty well covered (sorry that might be an American baseball figure of speech... Does cricket have bases?)

Let me try again. Looks like you've already got your head in the game. :)

But, really, everything looks fine. The only point I can see that's worth bringing up is that Thailand visas are only available in Laos at Vientiane or Savannakhet down south, with Vientiane being the much more popular choice. There's any number of ways you could go from Vietnam to Laos, but you'd need to pass through either Savannakhet or Vientiane on your way through Laos to pick up the Thailand visas at some point. Double entry would be no problem, although it is twice the price.

On the other questions, cost/time depends on where in Thailand/Cambodia you start and where in Cambodia/Vietnam you intend to end up, so if you want those questions answered you need to specify.

#2 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 08:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Any additional insight on Thai-Cambodian border crossings? ... By damil1234 on 2 Dec 2011 2 1608 5 Dec 2011
Thail visa...6 weeks including border crossings ... By kazmurph88 on 26 May 2010 6 3552 5 Jun 2010
Open and safe border crossings for visa runs for Thailand? ... By Kitty78 on 15 Jul 2008 1 2265 16 Jul 2008
Bo Y border opened for international border crossings? ... By millionilla on 11 Dec 2006 12 8216 1 Dec 2008
Border crossings ... By ofer on 1 Jan 2014 3 1471 6 Jan 2014
Border Crossings ... By allanlewis on 1 Apr 2010 0 1927 1 Apr 2010
Border crossings over Christmas ... By onefatmonkey on 1 Oct 2011 2 1564 1 Oct 2011
overland border crossings - laos to cambodia - please help! ... By lizzyp83 on 20 Mar 2006 2 2508 21 Mar 2006
Border Crossings on Motorbikes....advice needed ... By moomin1802 on 28 May 2011 8 2995 30 Nov 2011
Northern Laos into Thailand Border Crossings? ... By guernseydan on 26 Dec 2010 2 3099 28 Dec 2010