Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Visa Advice

Posted by nhawker on 6/3/2012 at 10:45

Im flying to Hong Kong in June. From there im travelling to Vietnam, Laos, camodia and bankok.

Can anyone give me advice on what visas i need?

I know i need one for vietnam, but where is the best place to apply as there are many sites that come up when you do a search on google.

#1 nhawker has been a member since 19/1/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 6

Posted by UsTwo on 7/3/2012 at 05:19

For Vietnam, I used www.myvietnamvisa.com. Just got my 3 month visa on arrival for $28.99 agency, plus a $25.00 stamping fee when I arrive in Hanoi. Several Travelfishers have recommended them.
I went direct to the Vietnam Embassy in Canberra for my last visit three months ago, cost me $75.00 for one month!
Thailand provides a 30 day visa on arrival, no cost, if you fly in, 15 days if you arrive by land.

Can't help with Cambodia or Laos.

Have fun!

#2 UsTwo has been a member since 22/4/2010. Posts: 70

Posted by altmtl on 7/3/2012 at 05:57

Visas for Cambodia and Laos can be had and arrival. If you're planning to stay in Thailand more then 15 days and not flying in I suggest you get a single entry visa (1000 baht) in Laos or Cambodia at the embassy. This will give you 60 days, but it's still cheaper than getting an extension.

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by pinlee on 19/3/2012 at 21:12

What is your nationality? One need to know your nationality before giving you any suggestion :)

#4 pinlee has been a member since 22/2/2012. Posts: 8

Posted by nhawker on 20/3/2012 at 07:48

Im from the UK

#5 nhawker has been a member since 19/1/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 6

Posted by Captain_Bob on 24/3/2012 at 05:58

As per above replies you need to get the Vietnam visa in advance or apply for a pre-approved visa through an agency (requires that you arrive to Vietnam by air). Lao and Cambodian visas can be obtained on arrival at border checkpoints or airports. Be aware that overcharging for Cambodian visas is rampant at some border points (official price $20 but some ask for double that). For Thailand you can get a visa-exempt entry of 30 days by air 15 days by land, so if that's not enough grab a proper tourist visa at the Thai consulate in Vientiane . It takes 2 days (apply 830am, pickup next day 1pm). At present the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh is reportedly not issuing tourist visas, or at a minimum are quite strict. So I recommend Vientiane instead (just was there again, quite user-friendly). Happy travels.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,818

Posted by nhawker on 29/3/2012 at 06:28

Thanks very much guys :)

#7 nhawker has been a member since 19/1/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 6

Posted by watson123 on 9/5/2012 at 05:40

Hi all,
After searching the web for months now come across this site. Great respect to you all this site is wonderful, wish I had found it months/years ago. Looking for some advice on Visa for my partner (Ireland national) to come to the UK and if anybody has any experience because I can’t be the first to be in this position! I also appear to keep getting conflicting info so any guidance from someone who may have been through the hoops would be great help.

#8 watson123 has been a member since 9/5/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by travelwithme500 on 23/5/2012 at 06:54

Dear all,

I can give you some additional information to this topic on my blog:

http://www.dontworryjusttravel.com/index.php/en/component/content/article/3-rss/90-thailand-60-day-tourist-visa.html

If you wish to stay longer than 30 days in Thailand you should apply for a 60 day tourist visa. You should .....

Cheers
Charles

#9 travelwithme500 has been a member since 31/1/2012. Posts: 16

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.