Visas and border crossings forum

Visa Advice

  • nhawker

    Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 6

    Im flying to Hong Kong in June. From there im travelling to Vietnam, Laos, camodia and bankok.

    Can anyone give me advice on what visas i need?

    I know i need one for vietnam, but where is the best place to apply as there are many sites that come up when you do a search on google.

    #1 Posted: 6/3/2012 - 10:45

  • Advertisement

  • UsTwo

    Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010
    Posts: 70

    For Vietnam, I used Just got my 3 month visa on arrival for $28.99 agency, plus a $25.00 stamping fee when I arrive in Hanoi. Several Travelfishers have recommended them.
    I went direct to the Vietnam Embassy in Canberra for my last visit three months ago, cost me $75.00 for one month!
    Thailand provides a 30 day visa on arrival, no cost, if you fly in, 15 days if you arrive by land.

    Can't help with Cambodia or Laos.

    Have fun!

    #2 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 05:19

  • altmtl

    Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Posts: 969
    Total reviews: 5

    Visas for Cambodia and Laos can be had and arrival. If you're planning to stay in Thailand more then 15 days and not flying in I suggest you get a single entry visa (1000 baht) in Laos or Cambodia at the embassy. This will give you 60 days, but it's still cheaper than getting an extension.

    #3 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 05:57

  • pinlee

    Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2012
    Posts: 8

    What is your nationality? One need to know your nationality before giving you any suggestion :)

    #4 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 21:12

  • nhawker

    Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 6

    Im from the UK

    #5 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 07:48

  • Captain_Bob

    Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 1787

    As per above replies you need to get the Vietnam visa in advance or apply for a pre-approved visa through an agency (requires that you arrive to Vietnam by air). Lao and Cambodian visas can be obtained on arrival at border checkpoints or airports. Be aware that overcharging for Cambodian visas is rampant at some border points (official price $20 but some ask for double that). For Thailand you can get a visa-exempt entry of 30 days by air 15 days by land, so if that's not enough grab a proper tourist visa at the Thai consulate in Vientiane . It takes 2 days (apply 830am, pickup next day 1pm). At present the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh is reportedly not issuing tourist visas, or at a minimum are quite strict. So I recommend Vientiane instead (just was there again, quite user-friendly). Happy travels.

    #6 Posted: 24/3/2012 - 05:58

  • nhawker

    Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 6

    Thanks very much guys :)

    #7 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 06:28

  • watson123

    Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2012
    Posts: 4

    Hi all,
    After searching the web for months now come across this site. Great respect to you all this site is wonderful, wish I had found it months/years ago. Looking for some advice on Visa for my partner (Ireland national) to come to the UK and if anybody has any experience because I can’t be the first to be in this position! I also appear to keep getting conflicting info so any guidance from someone who may have been through the hoops would be great help.

    #8 Posted: 9/5/2012 - 05:40

  • travelwithm-

    Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2012
    Posts: 16

    Dear all,

    I can give you some additional information to this topic on my blog:

    If you wish to stay longer than 30 days in Thailand you should apply for a 60 day tourist visa. You should .....


    #9 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 06:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee