Visas and border crossings forum

Vietnam/Laos: Sop Hun/Tay crossing Trang

• Ally_the_Cat

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2012

Hello all, I am a lone female traveler and am looking to cross into Laos from Vietnam in about a week and a half at the Sop Hun/Tay Trang crossing. I will be in Sapa prior to this and feel it would be a waste of a day to go all the way back to Hanoi to do the crossing from there with an organized bus/boat tour (suggested to me by my hostel here in Hanoi, of course).

I am unsure of what I do when I get to the Laos side. I am trying to make it up to Luang Prabang or Vang Vieng. I have read about both boats and buses and understand that there is no "easy" or "smooth" way to travel in Laos. I am just looking for the most efficient route.

Can anyone give me some personal experiences or advice on what they think is best? I am fairly nervous about doing it on my own.

#1 Posted: 26/3/2012 - 05:10

• Advertisement

• sankeegan

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Ally, I canĀ“t offer advice, sorry, but we are looking to do this ourselves in a couple of weeks time and was wondering if you did do it (as your post is about 2 months old now) or what happened and if you can give us some info if you have? we likewise are not having much luck finding out much info about this crossing other than that it might be a tricky affair wrought with scams et al. thanks

#2 Posted: 31/5/2012 - 10:48

• Ally_the_Cat

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2012

I did end up doing this. After a lot of research I took a bus that I booked through a hostel in Hanoi. They ended up putting me on the wrong bus so I ended up in Vientiane. It was a very long and gruesome ride but it got me to Laos without having to do a lot of boat and bus jumping. Sorry this reply is so late, I hope you made it ok. Good luck and safe travels!!

#3 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 13:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.