Visas and border crossings forum

I need up to date crossing info on Tachileik/Mae Sai

• AngusW

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2012

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip to Burma in June, and I'd like to fly from Heho to Tachileik and cross overland from there.

From the information I can find, I'm told that you need to get an exit permit from the MTT in Yangon before you can exit overland.

Does anyone have up to date information on this crossing? Any insight would be hugely appreciated :-)

Cheers,

Angus

#1 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 20:09

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi Angus,

You've posted several times about wanting to cross over to Thailand by land but haven't given any reason why, except to say you're planning on going to Chiang Mai afterwards. I can't offer much insight except that it would be much cheaper and less hassle to just fly back to Bangkok with Air Asia from Yangoon and then get a bus, train or plane to Chiang Mai. You'd have to get an internal flight to get to Kentung to do this overland crossing anyway...what's the point?

Quick google brought this up...maybe it will help.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2123744

#2 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 03:29

• AngusW

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2012

Thanks SBE. Basically, I just wanted a more direct route....Yangon-Bagan-Inle Lake-Across to the border. We have a tight timeline, so I wanna cut down on as many 12 hour bus rides as poss....

Having looked through that thread, it seems to be just as vague. I guess I will just have to wait until I get to the MTT in Yangon....

#3 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 04:16

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

There are also direct flights from Yangon to Chiang Mai every Sunday and Thursday on Air Bagan

#4 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 05:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

There you go Angus, problem solved!

Bus rides in Myanmar are often a lot longer than 12 hours. The first time I went to Inle it took 22 hours from Yangon on a really clapped out bus that was packed to the roof with luggage and people. I last did that route again a couple of years ago and the buses are way more comfortable now (A/C and some don't even use extra seats in the aisles) but I think the journey still took 16 hours or so.

If you're pressed for time and can afford it, you could fly Yangon-Bagan-Inle-Yangon and avoid long bus rides altogether. If you can't afford to fly everywhere then I'd recommend flying the Bagan-Inle leg. The only bus option is an old non aircon boneshaker that leaves Bagan market at 4am. Nearly everyone I met said it was the worst bus journey they did in Myanmar!

#5 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 19:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Border crossing through Tachileik ... By howpin on 3 Aug 2013 6 1664 7 Aug 2013
PLEASE! i need up-to-date info on the overland border Cambodia to Laos! ... By bizzungax on 31 Aug 2011 1 2381 31 Aug 2011
PLEASE! i need up-to-date info on the overland border Cambodia to Laos! ... By bizzungax on 31 Aug 2011 5 2367 1 Sep 2011