admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There's a long, long, long discussion over at ThaiVisa about those entering Thailand under the 30-day visa free entry method.

A theoretical requirement of this type of entry has always been that the person have an onwards ticket out of Thailand and 10,000B. I say theoretical in that in the past these requirements were never checked.

It seems that has changed.

As of early April, there are reports particularly at the Poipet border crossing between Thailand and Cambodia that the onwards ticket requirement is being enforced.

It's not clear at this stage if a bus or train ticket will suffice and it's also not clear if bonefide tourists rather than serial over-stayers are being targetted.

Will post more details as I find them. If anyone has crossed recently, would appreciate a report.

Tks

#1 Posted: 16/4/2007 - 13:14

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I crossed from Cambodia to Thailand at Poipet/Aranyaprathet on the fifth of April, and indeed to my surprise there were posters everywhere saying people wanting a visa-free 30-day stamp need to provide "valid proof" of onward travel before the 30 days are up. I seem to remember the poster mentioned "air travel" or "air tickets" specifically, but I could be mistaken.

In any case, I was asked for the proof and showed my air tickets for a few days later. I imagine many have been surprised by this, as the rule never used to be enforced. They seemed to be strict about it too, so showing up without the proof could make one waste some days going back and getting a tourist visa for Thailand. And I wonder what they do if you try to return to Cambodia without a Thai entry stamp, will they let you back in?

#2 Posted: 17/4/2007 - 08:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report Lother -- much appreciated.

#3 Posted: 17/4/2007 - 08:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.