Visas and border crossings forum

ONE WAY ticket to Thailand?

• RC2012

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

Hey, I've booked a 1 way ticket arriving BKK in Aug, I've gone 1 way as I have enough money saved and not planning anything until im there, I will also be getting the 30 day visa on arrival - Has anyone done this recently on a 1 way ticket from the UK? I have spoke to my airline who said if I can prove I have sufficient funds I will be fine with a 1 way ticket even without onwards travel however the Thai embassy told me I wont be allowed to board the plane without proof of onwards travel? My friends have all said I will be fine just explain my route as I will be travelling by land, but im still unsure...

Thanks

#1 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 05:49

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

It's never a problem once you're in Thailand but rather in the airport before you leave. Interesting the airline said that about the sufficient funds... Is that for their own check or what they think will be checked by Thai immigration? 99.999 % chance Thai immigration will not ask to see that. The airline are the only ones who can stop you from getting on the plane, so if they say you're fine then you're fine. But I'd make absolutely certain with them that onward flight proof isn't necessary.

I flew last October one-way from New York to Bangkok (Cathay Pacific) with just a tourist visa, and the airline called my name 30 minutes before the flight left, asking me to provide proof of onward travel (which thankfully I had in the form of an Air Asia one-way ticket to Vietnam). So, it's typically not an issue with Thai immigration, but rather with the airlines. That's what you need be sure about.

#2 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 06:46

• RC2012

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

I said to the airline (British Airways) that I will not have proof as I dont plan on flying out of BKK as im travelling by land, she checked the system and said it does say you need an onwards ticket unless you can prove that you have sufficient funds... All my friends have recently been and they said they were asked and advised to get onwards travel but they were still allowed on the flight when the explained what they were doing, im just worried I get there then have to spend alot of money on a return ticket which I wont use. I have seen this question asked alot and so many mixed replies...

#3 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 07:15

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If you have a tourist visa they will let you board.
    http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com

#4 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 08:01

• RC2012

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

I was hoping to get the 30 day VOA as I might only be there a few weeks before leaving so its a waste really, then eventually apply for a triple entry visa back in the UK as I will be staying in Thailand for a while once I have finished travelling and come home for a short wile, Do you know if I apply for this more than once for when it runs out?

#5 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 08:15

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

You wouldn't have to buy a return. Worst case scenario is you'd have to quickly book a one-way from Thailand to any other country (KL or HCMC from BKK on Air Asia is usually around US $45 one-way). Of course, you'd need a connection to Internet to do that.

"Do you know if I apply for this more than once for when it runs out?"

I don't understand this question. What do you mean?

#6 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 22:18

• RC2012

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

I'm going to apply for a single entry visa just to be safe and I will probably stay longer than 30 days at first.

"Do you know if I apply for this more than once for when it runs out?"

Sorry I should of been more specific, basically I want to apply for a triple entry visa after xmas as I would like to stay for a few months once i've finished travelling, as I am applying for just a single entry visa now can I still apply for the triple entry visa in a few months time? or is this something I can only apply for once? e.g. WHV for Aus...

#7 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 02:43

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You can apply for tourist visas as much as you want. However whatever Thai consulate you're dealing with has the right to deny you as per their in-house policy (which varies from one to the next). For exmple the consulate in Hull, UK has a good reputation for being relaxed and issues up to triple-entry visas, the consulate in Vientiane , Laos is the most user-friendly consulate in SE Asia, usually allows repeat visas and does max. double-entry. Other consulates can be more strict. I always say get as many entries as you can get (and will likely use) in advance and you can always pop back into Vientiane if you need more. I was getting back-to-back tourist visas there the past several years so it is possible.

#8 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 03:06

• RC2012

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

Thanks Captain Bob this is very helpful. I am sending off for my visa today so hopefully I receive it back asap, leaving in 24 days!

#9 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 03:55

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

What do you guys think about getting a multiple entry visa in Thailand versus getting the 30 days + making visa waiver runs when necessary for another 15 days? I've heard visa runs are very easy (assuming I'm near an int'l border), not sure if it is worth it to pay to get a multiple entry. Is it fairly easy to get a 60 day visa once I'm in Thailand?

#10 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 14:04

• Advertisement

• Snookieboi

Click here to learn more about Snookieboi
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

best get a return.

#11 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 14:55

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

^cbg0927
    You cannot get any visa inside Thailand. They are obtained at Thai consulates which are by definition outside the country. The 30-day alternative available to most nationalities on arrival is a visa-exemption, not a visa.
    So depending on how long your trip is and how many entries you will make, either get a single/double/triple entry tourist visa in advance or just do border hops to get 15 more days.

#12 Posted: 14/8/2013 - 09:00

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Managed to stumble across that information soon after I posted that. For $40 USD I'm thinking I'll just get a 60 day Thai visa. Can't hurt. thanks Cap'n Bob!

#13 Posted: 14/8/2013 - 10:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.