Visas and border crossings forum

Veitnam - 30 day visa and extension or 3 month visa

• Gamble

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2012

Hi,

Aplogies in advance if this question has been asked a thousand times already I cannot seem to find the information I want.

Basically I am reserching Vietnam visa's as I will be entering Vietnam from Cambodia overland. I am aware of buying it from PP or Sihanoukville.

The problem I have is I want longer than 30 days, I am not bothered about mulitple entry but was wondering whether it is possible/better to buy a 3 month visa before entering or buying a 30 day visa and then extending it immediatley after crossing the border, giving me 60 days?

If any one roughly knows the cost of either or both options that would also be great.

All advice is very appreciated.

G

#1 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 08:40

• Advertisement

• LaraHelen

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear Gamble, I see you want to enter Vietnam from Cambodia. I suggest you apply for visa on arrival. That means you will enter Vietnam by air, not overland. However, travelling by air and making visa on arrival will be more simple for you. You can apply for 3 months entry visa first to enter Vietnam. This can be done online. After that, when living in Vietnam, you can extend visa more. I think it is better than for you.

#2 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 20:42

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Hi Gamble. I don't know all the details of pricing but a 1 month extension is currently around US$35 so I would think it would be cheaper to get a 3 month visa in Cambodia. Also, the rules and prices for extensions change regularly, so it avoids any risk. If you do just get a 1 month visa, you shouldn't extend straight away, you should wait until it's nearly expired.

LaraHelen - it might be more simple but it's very expensive (flying from Cambodia to Vietnam is expensive) and traveling by land offers its own benefits.

#3 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 22:15

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Please ignore the last poster,whose advice is completely meaningless.You have stated you want to enter Vietnam from Cambodia via a land border.Forget the pre-arranged visa mentioned above,also there is no such thing as a "visa on arrival" I'm not sure that a Vietnamese Consulate will give you a 3 month visa if you haven't visited Vietnam before.i was in the Vietnamese Consulate in Sihanoukville with a friend who wanted a 3 month visa a few months ago,and because he'd never been to Vietnam before,they wouldn't give him one.They are normally pretty flexible,but on that occasion,it was a definite No.It's possible that phnom Penh might do this,perhaps also you should try via an agent such as "Lucky Lucky" on Monivong Blvd. It will probably be easier if you can get a 3 month (either single or multiple entry) visa in advance,although you can extend it while in Vietnam for 30 days,it means you would have to wait a few days for it to be done,and I understand it's easiest in big towns like Saigon,Da Nang or Hanoi
    Posted at the same time as the last poster-Sorry,I wasn't referring to your reply! but to that of "LaraHelen"

#4 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 22:24

• youngna

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2012

hi Gamble,

Most citizens of ASEAN member-countries as Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Laos do not need a Vietnam visa if they visit Vietnam within 30 days.
    But you wan't to stay longer 30 days, so you should choose Vietnam visa for 3 months-single, it's cost is cheaper, and more convinient than 1month single visa (with extending 60 days).
    You can learn more information via: Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}https://www.vietnam-evisa.org/
    The best way for your choice.

Regards,
    youngna

#5 Posted: 1/8/2012 - 02:39

• youngna

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2012

hi Gamble,

Most citizens of ASEAN member-countries as Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Laos do not need a Vietnam visa if they visit Vietnam within 30 days.
    But you wan't to stay longer 30 days, so you should choose Vietnam visa for 3 months-single, it's cost is cheaper, and more convinient than 1month single visa (with extending 60 days).
    You can learn more information via: Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}https://www.vietnam-evisa.org/
    The best way for your choice.

Regards,
    youngna

#6 Posted: 1/8/2012 - 02:39

• LaraHelen

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2012

You please go by bus from Vietnam to Cambodia. Normally, traveller will choose 3 ways:

1: Highway No 22 from Ho Chi Minh city , crossing Moc Bai International checkpoint
    2: Provincal highway No 952 from Tan Chau (Vietnam), Crossing Vinh Xuong International checkpoint to Kaam Samnor (Cambodia)
    3: Xaxia (Vietnam) to Prek chak crossing Ha tien international checkpoint. This checkpoint is open mostly internatinonly travelers.
    Please note some information related to visa procedure:
    Immigration at these check point only requires Vietnamese travelers to present passport to cross the gate while international tourist need Cambodia visa which can be obtained at the chekpoint on arrival. E-visa which is obtained online from Cambodia Ministry of Foreign Affair also accepted.
    On the way back to Vietnam, you need to have a visa ready to show to Immigration office at the checkpoint. Vietnam visa on arrival is not available with border crossing.

#7 Posted: 2/8/2012 - 22:21

• haslow

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2012

Hey Gamble,

I am an American currently living in Vietnam. "Visa on arrival" is available only if arriving by air and can be arranged via the internet from a variety of sources. It is a easy straightforward process which I had done many times. You said you will be entering Vietnam from Cambodia by land and from your post it sounds like you are a westerner possibly an American like me. I assume you must be flying into Thailand and taking land passage after that. Good deal, hope you get to Siem Reap. Anyway, If you can arrange a 3 month Vietnam visa in Cambodia by all means do so, it will be cheaper and less frustrating in the long run. 3 month visas are available and it does not matter if you had previously been to Vietnam. Only 1 month and 3 month visas are available, extensions from inside Vietnam are available after that for no more than 6 month total extension time from the time you enter Vietnam, then you must exit the country and do the whole process again. I am getting ready to go to Cambodia myself as my second 6 month period in almost up. All I do is have a mini vacation in Cambodia and return into Vietnam. WARNING you will need to wait a few days for your Vietnam visa so plan ahead and make sure to be vigilant at calling and checking to see if your visa is ready as many times you will not be called back. Hope this helps and safe journeys.

#8 Posted: 3/8/2012 - 03:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can i get a visa extension on a 30day tourist visa without leaving the country? ... By swenglishdan on 31 Dec 2006 5 5233 4 Nov 2012
Visa Extension ... By tuck60 on 10 Jun 2013 1 1109 11 Jun 2013
Visa extension ... By mikethediver on 29 Aug 2010 4 4270 16 Sep 2010
4th visa extension ... By mabrock71 on 10 Jul 2008 3 3659 14 Nov 2012
Visa Extension ... By Travel2008 on 10 Feb 2009 3 3581 21 Mar 2010
Visa extension ... By Jessa on 16 Dec 2010 2 1744 17 Dec 2010
Visa extension ... By anya_lukover on 20 Jul 2008 1 2493 21 Jul 2008
Visa extension ... By Clare1993 on 11 Jul 2014 2 318 15 Jul 2014
Laos Visa Extension ... By Jono on 6 Nov 2006 2 2801 6 Nov 2006
Visa extension in Battambang ... By mattocmd on 29 Sep 2010 2 3410 29 Sep 2010