Visas and border crossings forum

Still confused about Thai Visa

• chris123

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2007

I fly into Bangkok as the first stage of a RTW trip. However the next flight in our itinerary is from Singapore - we had intended to travel overland to Hanoi and get a flight from there to Singapore. This will all be in space of three weeks.

We have a similar situation on our way home, where we are again flying into Bangkok but our homeward flight, 3 weeks later, is out of Singapore. In this period, we do not plan to leave Thailand until getting a flight to S'pore.

The way I understand the current regualtions is that because we do not have onward tickets out of thailand we need to get a 2-entry visa, costing arounf £50. Do you think this is the most sensible option or will our full itinerary be proof of intention to move on within the visa period? I'm also aware that for the return journey we could book a flight to Singapore before we arrive - the only problem being that we didn't want to commit ourselves to any particular travel plan for that stay.

Any advice appreciated - Apologies if this question has been covered at length elsewhere!

#1 Posted: 23/4/2007 - 17:09

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Chris123,,

Given that you'll have a ticket ex Singapore to somewhere else in the world, I think you'll be fine. It is worth bearing in mind that the recent kerfuffle about showing a ticket out of the country appears to primarily be aimed at serial overstayers in Thailand -- not legitimate tourists like yourself. Also, at the moment this requirement only seems to be being enforced at the Poipet border crossing (the overland crossing between Bangkok and Siem Reap), so if you're not planning on using that crossing I wouldn't worry too much about it.

#2 Posted: 23/4/2007 - 18:51

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

I flew singapore into krabi and bangkok and that regulation was barely enforced. I didn't even know about it until i got to the land border at Poi Pet, but even then, I-and many other people i asked-got away with it. I think you'd do fine since you are intending to fly out from singapore.

#3 Posted: 3/5/2007 - 01:23

• fayeshenton

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2007

if your ticket outta singapore is over 2 months then u need a visa apparently.. coz it looks like your staying in thailand for over 2 months which aint allowed without a visa..
    apparently

#4 Posted: 3/5/2007 - 19:40

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Chris123,

I arrived in Bangkok on a one way ticket and I wasn't asked to supply a onward ticket. I ended up flying from Chang Mai to Luang Prabang, Laos before my tourist visa expired.

As a backup reserve a onward flight ticket through a travel agency before u arrive and get them to print the itenary. Your under no obligation to buy the ticket but u will have a piece of a paper to show immigration that u are intending to flying somewhere within one month.

Ernie

#5 Posted: 4/5/2007 - 21:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai visa - confused ... By Kez on 4 May 2011 5 1957 5 May 2011
Confused as to which Thai Visa to apply for? ... By chicoelnino on 16 Apr 2013 3 1305 18 Apr 2013
$147.29 for a 60 day thai vissa, that requires shipping??? confused... ... By holydinahorben on 18 Dec 2012 3 808 25 Dec 2012