Visas and border crossings forum

Visa Confusion

• zenz

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2012

Posted this in the Vietnam section before realizing there was a whole section on Visas...
    Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I read the FAQs and didn't find anything. This is my first time heading overseas and thus, my first time dealing with Visas.

I'm flying into Hanoi in early January with plans on exploring Vietnam for ~1 month, exiting into Cambodia in the south before continuing on to Thailand. However I'm also flying out of Hanoi to come back home mid-March and am unsure of what sort of Visa to get. I've read I can get a 90 day visa but will it work if I exit and re-enter? What's the best course of action for a Visa if I'll be hanging out in the country for a month before taking off and coming back ~6 weeks later? I don't know if I'll fly directly from Thailand to Hanoi the day before my flight or if I'll fly back earlier and explore around Vietnam a bit more before heading home. I'm trying to keep my plans as loose as possible. I'm Canadian if it makes a difference.

Also, how does this ROUGH plan sound?
    -Fly into Hanoi, explore around and head into N. Vietnam before heading south.
    -Spend 3 or so weeks heading south
    -Finish up in Vietnam and pop into Cambodia
    -Spend ~1 week in Cambodia before heading into Thailand.
    -Follow Eastern border of Thailand heading North until I hit Chiang Mai (maybe venture a bit further North as I've heard great things)
    -Drop south, head through Bangkok before entering the Southern tip of Thailand.
    -Eventually head back to BKK and catch a flight back to Hanoi (any idea how much will this run me on those cheap airlines I keep hearing about)

I'm interested in exploring natural places, experiencing the culture, and having a night of good partying here and there. Cheers for any info or help you guys can provide!

#1 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 17:45

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

You can get a 90 day multiple entry visa for Vietnam. Or you can get a 30 day single entry then get another if you decide you want to come back and explore again in Vietnam later. Up to you.

Rough plan sounds like a lot of ground covered in a pretty short time, especially in Thailand. Doing a loop all the way through eastern/northeastern Thailand up into the north then down through the center of the country and all the way to the 'southern tip' is a pretty insane amount of travel for 5 weeks (?). But as you say, if it's a rough plan so you can make it up as you go along.

The only cheap airline I know of that flies direct from Bangkok to Hanoi is Air Asia. Just do a search to see how much it's costing: www.airasia.com.

#2 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 22:10

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

Unless you have already booked your flights to Hanoi I would fly to Bangkok and use that as your main airport. and will make your visa issues far simpler ( assuming you are from uk or similar where Visa for Thailand are free ) also flights to Bangkok are generally cheap enough to counter the extra cost of flying onward to Hanoi

A tip I would give is use a tour company in Thailand/Vietnam.. Depsite trying to beat them by looking online myself I very rarely did and if i did it was only by the difference of a booking fee of the tour company.

Internal flights like Bangkok to Chang Mai and Hanoi to Da Nang for example expect to pay about £40 one way. My flight from Bangkok to Hanoi was about £140 one way but i could of got that about £60 cheaper had i booked it before i left the uk. but i at that point i didn't know exact dates.

Also don't expect to fly from Cambodia to the Thailand.. well unless money is not an issue. the flights are about £70 more than it costs to Hire your own 5 hour Taxi from Seam Reap to Bangkok.. ( change of Taxi at boarder but make sure you have the booking company's details etc as they will try and get you to swap and pay extra if your not careful at the boarder ) it cost £80 shared between 2 of us so was effectively £40 each compared to £140 each.

This was the rough time i spent in 6 weeks,
    Fly to bangkok £495 Return
    12 days Bangkok and north
    Fly Chang Mai to Hanoi ( via Bangkok) £140 One way
    Train Hanoi to Da Nang £16 ( i think in the region of )
    Flight Da Nang to HCMC £40 one way
    17 Days Vietnam
    Bus to PP camboida £9 one way
    6 days Cambodia
    Bus to Seam Reap £9 one way
    Taxi to Bangkok £80 ($110) one way
    10 days south Thailand and Bangkok
    Flight to Ko Samui £80 return

all in all over the 6 weeks between All travel ( taxis and everything ) and Accommodation (Hotels 3* up) I spent £1100 - £1200

#3 Posted: 14/12/2012 - 09:42

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

Fees are increasing from Jan 1st next year, so that might influence your plans. See: http://news.gov.vn/Home/Fees-for-visas-temporary-residence-cards-to-increase-since-2013/201211/16245.vgp

#4 Posted: 25/12/2012 - 10:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa Confusion ... By zenz on 10 Dec 2012 10 2549 28 Dec 2012
confusion about the e-visa ... By buecax on 16 Jul 2009 3 2147 16 Jul 2009
Visa confusion ... By joejowers on 22 Jan 2009 3 1297 23 Jan 2009
Confusion over Visa ... By MLSinclair on 27 Mar 2010 11 1629 31 Mar 2010
Thai visa - confusion :S ... By stokates on 9 Jul 2009 6 2467 20 Aug 2009
Confusion about Thai Visa ... By dslash01 on 9 Jun 2011 6 2207 13 Jun 2011
Confusion with Thai Visa's!! ... By KoalaBeans on 8 Sep 2013 5 3918 11 Sep 2013